TOOL FOR INTERACTIVE SURROUND-SOUND MIXING?

I am envisioning software that is like 2D+time animation-layout software, for placing audio sources onto a flat plane / stage, and editing them over time to slowly move around on that stage, instead of wrestling with the less-intuitive Left-Surround Right-Surround Center-Channel fader levels in ProTools HD/TDM. Does anyone on MetaFilter know of such a software tool?

I just imagine being able to place "Lead Vocalist" in the center of a square, "Backup Vocalists" behind them, "Guitar" off to the left, "Bass" over on the right, etcetera, and then animating them to slowly move around over time, in some kind of software that is more like 2D animation, and less like adjusting a large number of volume sliders. Any ideas or sugetions?
posted by shipbreaker to Technology (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Hopefully you'll get good advice here, but you could also maybe link it to MeFi Music Talk as well.
posted by billiebee at 11:20 AM on March 8, 2015

If I understand the question correctly, Audiomulch does this fairly intuitively.
posted by univac at 11:39 AM on March 8, 2015

Does ProTools not record automation? Or are you asking about moving all sound sources around the field at the same time? (Which, I agree, would be a massive headache to do one by one). I'm wondering whether this might come close to what you're aiming for?
posted by feckless fecal fear mongering at 11:40 AM on March 8, 2015

Best answer: Oh! Spanner might fit the bill.
posted by feckless fecal fear mongering at 11:45 AM on March 8, 2015

If I'm not mistaken, in Pro Tools you should be able to open up a surround panner which visualizes the acoustic space. Click the fader icon (next to track output in the edit window). From there you can click and drag the ball to move the sound around. This can be recorded as automation to be played back.
Screenshot from an older PT verision: http://imgur.com/2b2Ff0z
posted by mannermode at 8:26 PM on April 9, 2015

« Older Where to cross-post blog entries?   |   Inexpensive light-blocking window treatments for... Newer »