Newer domain extensions - what's best for a personal page?

What's the current thinking around using the newer domain extensions (.me, .info, etc.) for a personal home page?

Fifteen years ago I had a (somewhat) popular website and after it ran its course I just kept using the domain name for my email and homepage (photos, links to other projects). Now that its origins are thoroughly lost to the mists of Internet history (and thinking about printing up contact cards for an upcoming conference) I want a central domain that is more up to date.

I've more or less standardized on using the same username I have here everywhere else. The .com for that is being squatted upon but the .net and .org are available. The .net was my first instinct but is there a trend or advantage towards using the newer extensions such as .info, .me and .name (or any other) for non-business websites.?
posted by mikepop to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

They're fine if you want people to not remember your URL. If you just want people to click on something and have a place to park it, fine. But if you want to send someone to mikepop.info and have them remember it later? They never will.
posted by inturnaround at 9:15 AM on February 27, 2015 [2 favorites]

NB that many addresses with new tlds will fail validation when entered into an external service.
posted by The Gaffer at 10:18 AM on February 27, 2015

.horse! who could forget .horse?

"mikepop.horse? but you don't even like horses!"

"i know! i've never even ridden one."

"so why...?"

"so you'll never forget"
posted by destructive cactus at 10:57 AM on February 27, 2015

info, .me and .name are so generic that they won't help anyone remember your site. If there was one that made sense or that you could turn into a word (del.icio.us), it might be worth it.
posted by soelo at 11:00 AM on February 27, 2015 [1 favorite]

I don't think there's any advantage to the way-new TLDs unless they're a perfect fit for what you're doing.
posted by adamrice at 11:17 AM on February 27, 2015 [1 favorite]

I think a TLD that's distinctive is fine. I think .info is not, but I actually do think .me is. Go figure. One of my favorite podcasts uses replyall.limo (also replyall.fail), so I agree with destructive cactus.
posted by O9scar at 11:20 AM on February 27, 2015

I have a domain like lastna.me (e.g., smi.th or will.is) and my e-mail is my first initial at my last name (e.g., j@smi.th). I find it to be pretty memorable, but I also don't go anywhere without a stack of my professionally designed personal calling cards in the back of my wallet and a tie, so ymmv.

I've set up a couple domains for friends, if your last name is common you may have to register firstnamelastna.me instead (typically giving me@johnsmi.th), or middlenamelastna.me (giving first@middlelastna.me).

If there's not a TLD that corresponds to the end of your name, then I would pick something that rhymes (if you're lucky, brucelee.me) or is just pronounceable (john@doe.is). is is good because it's just kind of existential, bike or fairground or clown while pronounceable probably doesn't relate to you, or if it actually does in some way I still wouldn't want to be defined by my love for bikes or *shudder* clowns.

(I then get fancy with url structures sometimes so you get john.smi.th/blogs/about/post-titles and john.smi.th/has/a/resume.pdf but it's diminishing coolness returns at that point.)
posted by books for weapons at 11:35 AM on February 27, 2015

Do people actually remember URLs? What use is a .com TLD if I can't remember if your url is JoeSchmo.com, JoeRSchmo.com, JoeTheSchmomaster.com, SchmoConsulting.com, or something completely different?

If I have emailed with someone before, I rely on gmail autocomplete to remember their address. I save business card info into Evernote. Otherwise, I just look them up on LinkedIn.
posted by antimony at 11:36 AM on February 27, 2015

FWIW, .info and .name aren't particularly new (2000~2002), and .me is the perfectly legitimate TLD for Montenegro. It's not like they're from the new crop of .horse, .lemon, & .arse TLDs…
posted by Pinback at 1:46 PM on February 27, 2015

« Older How to celebrate a good friend, in writing   |   Can we eat it: fried chicken left in the oven... Newer »