Negotiating to sell a twitter account.

I have a personal twitter account that's a pretty common two-word English phrase. Someone's contacted me asking about acquiring the name, to use for a brand new business with the same name. I'm looking for advice from people familiar with these negotiations. How do you evaluate the value of a twitter name, and what's a reasonable starting offer?

In a little more detail, the business falls into the category of dumb ideas that the world doesn't need, and I've no particular desire to be charitable. (Think, "direct to consumer air freshener delivery," which isn't accurate, but captures the sense of the thing.) But, I've no ethical objections to their existence; it's silly, but not evil. I have less than a hundred followers and a few hundred tweets, and I'm not entirely opposed to the idea. I could be talked into handing over the account in exchange for some cash, assuming that's allowed by twitter's TOS and or common practice. What's a not-insulting and yet not-wimpy opening offer in a case like this?
posted by eotvos to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

It is totally against the Twitter TOS to sell an account. People do it all the time anyway. Keep in mind that this is probably the only seller to which you can sell this account so don't be too hardball. I'd ask for $1,000 and be willing to take $600. However, if they've approached you, I'd invite them to make an opening offer.
posted by DarlingBri at 1:48 PM on February 21, 2015 [1 favorite]

Ask them to make you an offer.

The only rule of negotiating is "He or She who says the first number, loses."

If their offer is ridiculously low, politely decline to sell. If it is in the ball park of being worth it to you, counter-offer an amount above what you would settle for. Hopefully, they'll meet your desired price.

I imagine a few hundred to a few thousand is the right price. Similar to a website address.

You absolutely should research the company to help you decide. If they have lots of investor money, you probably don't want to sell for $200. But again, the real value is what it is worth to you, an amount you would be very happy with, that is the amount you agree to.
posted by jbenben at 1:49 PM on February 21, 2015

Twitter does not let you sell accounts. Sorry.
posted by Pandora Kouti at 1:49 PM on February 21, 2015 [1 favorite]

Whoops. Didn't know you can't sell it legally. Proceed with caution.
posted by jbenben at 1:50 PM on February 21, 2015

Twitter's legal remedy if they find out the account has been exchanged for money is to disable the account. It's not like you're going to be arrested for selling it. That sounds like a problem for the buyer, not the seller, assuming the money's changed hands before the hammer comes down. But, yeah, I've sold some domains I wasn't using when approached, and "make me an offer" is my stock response. If you don't know how much you value a thing, having someone else suggest a price is, if nothing else, a good way to get a feel for how much you actually value it.
posted by hades at 5:46 PM on February 22, 2015 [1 favorite]

Thanks, all.

I didn't realize it was so explicitly forbidden. Since I'm generally in favor of policies that disincentivize name-squatting, I'm probably going to tell them to get lost and move on.
posted by eotvos at 11:29 AM on February 23, 2015

« Older Is a sports bra necessary for women or is this a...   |   Recommendation to prepare the paper-based TOEFL Newer »