Need Water-Proof Stainless Container-Like Necklace
February 21, 2015 9:10 AM   Subscribe

So I have something written that I want to wear - so it needs to have a screw-off top, with a rubber/plastic ring to keep all moisture, dirt whatever out - it just needs to be about 1 inch or maybe even less - not heavy, and made from either stainless steel or sterling silver. Where can I find something like that - what is it called? Thank you!
posted by watercarrier to Technology (13 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
How about this - from Lee Valley
posted by parki at 9:15 AM on February 21, 2015 [1 favorite]

Some sort of locket or pill container? You may find something on Etsy that will serve.
posted by BillMcMurdo at 9:15 AM on February 21, 2015

Yeah - but isn't there a name for them? and so far all of them are made of aluminum which is not what is needed.
posted by watercarrier at 9:19 AM on February 21, 2015 [1 favorite]

My grandfather had a little keychain thing, pretty sure it was stainless, for keeping his nitroglycerin pills in. Something like this maybe.
posted by feckless fecal fear mongering at 9:21 AM on February 21, 2015

Thanks! Like that keychain thing feckless fecal fear mongering. Cheers all.
posted by watercarrier at 9:29 AM on February 21, 2015

This Etsy seller makes sterling silver jewelry, and sells some screw-top container necklaces that sound like what you're describing. The ones in that shop are more decorated and ornate, but you could try messaging about custom work?

I've never used the particular seller I linked above, but I've had good experiences with other jewelry sellers on Etsy (NBDesigns, in particular, who also might be able to custom-make something like this) and with Etsy you could go back-and-forth with a seller to get the piece made exactly how you want, rather than compromising on something off the shelf.
posted by augustimagination at 9:34 AM on February 21, 2015 [1 favorite]

Photo lockets wouldn't be waterproof enough. Try message-in-a-bottle pendant as a search term, perhaps? This sounds like a personal mezuzah, which co-opts the concept of Jewish sacred writing that is affixed to a doorway as a blessing/protective gesture. This is base on casual conversation with friends, not a highly informed definition of the concept. The idea might get you closer to what you're looking for on etsy.
posted by childofTethys at 9:40 AM on February 21, 2015 [1 favorite]

You may want to Google around on "everyday carry" or "EDC" - there are numerous little containers out there for keychains, necklaces, and so forth
posted by doctor tough love at 9:43 AM on February 21, 2015 [2 favorites]

"Pill fob" is what I've always seen them called, and Google suggests it's pretty common.

Above a certain size, the naming conventions seem to be all over the place. The term "stash" comes up a lot, usually combined with "waterproof" or "dry".
posted by Lyn Never at 9:59 AM on February 21, 2015 [2 favorites]

I like this one and it's VERY cheap.
posted by Too-Ticky at 11:04 AM on February 21, 2015 [1 favorite]

Here's a waterproof necklace on Amazon that would work and there are lots more. You can also search for scroll necklaces or prayer scroll necklaces. Some are religious themed, but not all. Prayer box pendant. Reliquary. Lots to choose from.
posted by raisingsand at 12:40 PM on February 21, 2015

If you want this to be a permanent solution, seal the lid closed with glue or clear nail polish. That's what I did with my pendant holding my dead cat's fur.
posted by janey47 at 1:07 PM on February 21, 2015

You might want to search "pet ID tube" for options, as well.
posted by taz at 1:32 AM on February 22, 2015

« Older Quoting from an uncorrected proof   |   Who Made Those Great Little Freebie Maps (Chicago... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.