Find me scat singin like is in Katamari Damacy

ScatFilter: Help me find some good scat singing, like that track from Katamari Damacy or The Neverhood.

I don't have a good vocabulary for describing non-electronic music, so how do I find more music similar to that track "A Crimson Rose & a Gin Tonic" from Katamari Damacy? It's the one with the swing beat and the japanese girl scatting and singing in Japanese.

I also adore the The Neverhood soundtrack, which is basically entirely real weird scat singing.

I feel like this is probably a well developed and no-longer-in-fashion genre that I don't know what it's called or where to start. Any help, please?
posted by aubilenon to Media & Arts (16 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'scat' as a genre, but the Dave Matthews Band song Jimi Thing usually has an extended scat section in its live versions.
I like the one off the live Golden Gate Park release (mostly because I was there).

If you're more into jazz, try Ella Fitzgerald.
posted by anarcation at 12:26 AM on November 21, 2005

The opening credit theme song to the Tick Animated series is scatting over trumpets and sound effects. It's short but free. Here is a link directly to the MP3.
posted by JDC8 at 12:57 AM on November 21, 2005

Ella Fitzgerald. Definitely.

Start with "Cotton Tail" and go from there.
posted by Vidiot at 2:28 AM on November 21, 2005

OK, the artist you describe from the Katamari soundtrack is Dokaka.

The stuff you're talking about isn't really scat singing. Scat implies jazz / improvisation - y'know shabba-do-dee-bop-wo-dee-doo etc etc. Whereas Dokaka and the like are more like incredibly advanced a cappella / human beatbox artists. Here are my recommendations for similar things :

Killa Kela - brilliant London-based beatbox artist.

Kid Beyond - amazing San Francisco beatboxer / looper

"Sad Song" (warning - QT video) by Fredo Viola

On a tangenitally related tip - Canadian punk rock legends NoMeansNo recorded a glorious a cappella version of The Dead Kennedys "Forward To Death", as part of the Virus 100 anniversary album. Worth hunting down if you've a single punk rock bone in your body, and you enjoy some a cappella silliness.

Oh and don't get me started on the German a cappella group who do cover versions of Commodore 64 SID tunes...
posted by coach_mcguirk at 2:30 AM on November 21, 2005

I've never heard the Katamari thing...but if you are looking for scat singing...my personal favourite is Louis Prima (be careful of embedded music - may induce temporary euphoria)...who was the voice of King Louie in the Jungle Book.

Personally - you can't fail to smile when listening to Prima.
posted by mattr at 3:30 AM on November 21, 2005

Dizzy Gillespie's "Sometimes I'm Happy" has a pretty awesome scat session from 7:21 on.

Bobby McFerrin has done a lot of work with this style, taking it to different levels.
posted by bwilms at 3:59 AM on November 21, 2005

mcguirk, the track "A Crimson Rose and a Gin Tonic" from the first game is actually scat, complete with the "dooby dobba doos". The DOKAKA track is from the second.
posted by zsazsa at 5:31 AM on November 21, 2005

Dangit, I knew that direct link wouldn't work. Here's a fixed link. (warning, it's an MP3 of the whole song, and is VBR so Quicktime can't stream it properly in the browser, so hit refresh after it's loaded if you want to hear all of it in your browser)
posted by zsazsa at 5:36 AM on November 21, 2005

Lambert, Hendricks and Ross
posted by box at 6:12 AM on November 21, 2005

...of course no list would be complete without Shooby Taylor, "the human horn".

RIP
posted by cadastral at 6:36 AM on November 21, 2005

I've always been a big fan of the hi-de-ho and novelty scat of Mr. Cab Calloway. "Tarzan of Harlem" is the first song on this cd that comes to mind, although Cab does a lot of wild n' wacky scat.
posted by NewGear at 7:30 AM on November 21, 2005

I thought you were referring to the first song from KD, with just the male vocal. Anyone know who that is?
posted by Manhasset at 7:44 AM on November 21, 2005

Manhasset, that's Yu Miyake, the game's sound director. He compiled the game's soundtrack, and composed many of the songs. From this article:
I often record my melodies that I have in my head using my cellular phone or PC by humming. My workspace is not completely private, and my co-workers make fun of me if they hear me humming, so I always record my humming secretly. I decided to insert this humming in the title sequence of the test version of the game because I thought it would be funny and a bit kooky. It was just a joke at first, but then people started to like it so I decided to keep it – and that’s why you hear some weirdo humming when you first load the game.
posted by zsazsa at 8:33 AM on November 21, 2005

OK, no.

Anyway, aubilenon, Cab Calloway is your man. Don't forget the ever-present, every-lovely "Mah Na Mah Na." Finally, AskWikipedia.
posted by electric_counterpoint at 5:08 PM on November 21, 2005

Ella Fitzgerald's Blue Skies is the definitive scat song for me.

anarcation: I like Dave Matthews and all, but I don't think I would recommend him based on his scatting ability. ;)
posted by danb at 10:12 PM on November 25, 2005

Everybody's talking about Ella, and for good reason-- she did scat better than anybody. Sarah Vaughn probably had better range and intonation, but Ella had spirit and soul, and really loved what she was doing.

It seems to me as though Ella only improved over her career. My favorite record of hers is Ella and Duke at the Cote D'Azur. It contains what I believe to be the most entertaining scat song, their version of "The Jazz Samba."
posted by koeselitz at 6:21 PM on November 30, 2005

« Older Can I send vitamins from the U.S. to someone in...   |   We need... information. Newer »