To which other vocalists should I be listening?

I recently took up the ukulele, and have been doing well enough that I'm ready to start recording a few of the songs I've learned. A few of my friends have pointed out some interesting things about my voice, and I'd like to explore this a little more as a listener.

I'm a semi-trained singer -- I've sung with choirs over the years and took voice lessons as a teenager. I'm generally grouped in either the mezzo or the alto section. A few weeks ago I posted a YT link of myself singing and playing, and a few of my friends compared me to Nico and to Blossom Dearie. I'm guessing this is because I have a thin, reedy head voice and slightly more confidence in my chest voice…but I still sound a little whispery. I have an opportunity to record a few tracks of my voice and ukulele before I leave my office (long story), and I'm hoping to record a few of my covers before my contract here ends.

To which other untrained-sounding, jazz-influenced female vocalists on the alto end of the spectrum should I listen? I've been listening to Blossom Dearie on Spotify, as well as Lena Horne.

(I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post self-links here, so let me know if anyone is interested in seeing the clip.)
posted by pxe2000 to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

How about Amanda Palmer and her magical ukelele?
posted by Sir Rinse at 10:40 AM on February 18, 2015 [1 favorite]

How about no?
posted by pxe2000 at 10:59 AM on February 18, 2015 [2 favorites]

Maybe Annette Peacock or Joan Wasser?
posted by oh pollo! at 12:17 PM on February 18, 2015 [1 favorite]

Jessica Pratt?
posted by cyphill at 3:58 PM on February 18, 2015 [1 favorite]

Suzanne Vega displays jazz influences on occasion. Julia Nunes does not but does play the ukulele. Both are in the alto range.

Since it's relevant, I think it'd be okay to post a self -link here. At the very least, you can put a link in your profile and direct people there.
posted by Karlos the Jackal at 10:04 PM on February 18, 2015 [1 favorite]

Great question and thanks for turning me on to Blossom Dearie!

My suggestion: Carla Bruni.
posted by auntie maim at 8:23 AM on February 19, 2015 [1 favorite]

Lovetta Pippen in His Name is Alive
posted by WeekendJen at 12:20 PM on February 19, 2015 [1 favorite]

Judging by your answer to the pretty thick boundary I just put down, Thomas, maybe you should stop mansplaining to me and move on your merry way.

Everyone else: thank you for your answers. My library queue and Spotify playlists are heavy with new vocalists. Here is my cover of "Flexible Flyer" by Husker Du.
posted by pxe2000 at 12:52 PM on February 20, 2015

[Comment removed, please don't double down on stuff an asker's been clear they're not considering.]
posted by cortex (staff) at 2:41 PM on February 20, 2015

« Older Flu shot injury- file a claim?   |   Demographic Changes in the Eastern Orthodox Church... Newer »