Google Fails Me: What's a "Fresh Dry Skippy"?

In Mark Ronson's/Bruno Mars' "Uptown Funk," there's a reference to "smoother than a fresh dry Skippy" (or fresh-drawn Skippy). Does this actually mean something?
posted by WCityMike to Media & Arts (8 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I thought it's saying "smoother than a fresh jar (of) Skippy", like the peanut butter.
posted by MadamM at 9:43 AM on February 14, 2015 [2 favorites]

And the Genius entry for the song confirms it.
posted by MadamM at 9:45 AM on February 14, 2015

Genius says jar of skippy!
posted by teslacoilswoah at 9:46 AM on February 14, 2015

Forgive me, is Genius something official, or is it Wikipedia-esque?
posted by WCityMike at 9:47 AM on February 14, 2015

I just listened to the song for the five millionth time. Finally, I heard "smoother than a fresh jar o' Skippy." Thank you all.
posted by WCityMike at 9:51 AM on February 14, 2015 [1 favorite]

It's unofficial/made by community contributors, although recently some actual artists have been getting on and explaining their own lyrics. In this case I think the explanation makes sense and it's definitely what I hear when I listen to the song. I'm not sure if any "official" source for song lyrics really exists online, unless you're looking at the liner notes or something.
posted by MadamM at 9:53 AM on February 14, 2015

Not helpful in his case, but related: KissThisGuy.com is an archive of commonly misheard song lyrics and the correct texts. If you search for lyrics but don't find them because you misheard them, go there and search in the "misheard" category.
posted by mvd at 11:47 AM on February 14, 2015

Bruno Mars Instagram post
posted by xo at 12:23 PM on February 14, 2015 [3 favorites]

« Older Going to protests/marches alone and social anxiety   |   Do you think this is enough for a Valentine's Day... Newer »