What would you call my job?

I'm about to start a re-negotiation of my salary and job description at my work. I'm trying to research a fair market salary for my position, and I'm struggling to determine exactly what my title should be. What should my title be? And what should I expect to make in said position?

I've been at the same company for five years. My company is an electronics manufacturer, and I've been doing technical support for analog and VoIP business and hotel phones in that time. Initially, I was a run-of-the-mill contracted call center tech doing phone and e-mail support. Now I'm a full employee (as of two years ago) handling phone and e-mail support for end users, B2B and internally to several teams, creating and maintaining the knowledge base on several product lines, admin of our call center phone system, QA on returned products, QA on new products, limited travel to customer sites and user trials to do telephone installation and fixes, developing training materials for new hires, technical supervision of new hires, and soon to start supporting a contracted call center as their knowledge guru for an entirely new product line (not phones, but other network devices).

As a result of all of the new responsibilities I've acquired, and changes internally in our department, I've come up to get a new job description to reflect my responsibilities, and a substantial raise. And that's the rub. I cannot figure out what my title should be. And I can't figure out what a fair market salary should be.

As of right now, I suspect my title is inaccurate (Business Phones Support Specialist - Tier 1) and my salary (upper 40's) is under market. I honestly don't even know. According to some salary websites, I feel like a "market salary" could be anywhere from 35K to 100K, and can't get any bearing on it. I know that I'd be willing to sacrifice some salary vs a market rate, as my company has excellent benefits and time off that I probably couldn't get at a different company.

I have yet to receive my updated job description, title, and salary offer. I do know they are in the works, and expect to receive them within the next 2-3 weeks. My supervisor gave me a hint as to what my new salary offer might be (low 50's), and I'm wondering if how below (or above?) market that would be.

Few details: I'm located in Portland, OR. I've been to college but never finished my degree. My other relevant experience was working as a "senior" in a call center prior to this job for 3 years. I did have some relevant technical certifications that probably are all lapsed. (A+, Network+, CCNA, CCNA Voice). My job reviews have been excellent in my time at my employer.

My ultimate questions: Based on my responsibilities, what should my title be? What kind of pay should that title demand?
posted by Mister Fabulous to Work & Money (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I'm wondering if how below (or above?) market that would be

The easiest way to determine your "market rate" is to apply for jobs. Every recruiter will ask you what your desired salary is - keep on incrementing that until they immediately stop the discussion and indicate you're too high. Your "market rate" is now something like 80-90% of what that salary is. The recruiter will assume the salary you request is high and that they'll negotiate down from there, so they will usually allow an interview with a desired salary above what the company will pay assuming that they'll negotiate down from there.

I should note here that your "market rate" is somewhat irrelevant. Your company isn't paying you per the market, they're paying you the least amount of money necessary to keep you as an employee. That number may be less than, equal to, or more than other companies would pay you in an equivalent role. I would encourage you not to compare yourself to market rate, but compare yourself to what sort of work you can get instead. Unless you are an exactly average person doing exactly average work, market rate is a red herring.
posted by saeculorum at 11:50 AM on February 9, 2015 [3 favorites]

Glassdoor is pretty great for this sort of thing.

How about Telecommunications Networking Analyst, or Telephony Engineer.

Here's a listing for a Telecommunications Program Manager, I found it on LinkedIn. Use some of the verbiage for your job description:

Network Infrastructure Repair and Logistics
Engineering and Network Deployment Solutions
Product Engineering, Sourcing and Supply Services
CPE Product (Set-Top Box, Modems & Data) Test, Repair & Logistics
Automotive Reman & Logistics
This Program Manager, Telecommunications is responsible for measuring and driving the performance of an assigned customer program - including key performance metrics, production, quality, customer communication including formal presentations, and attaining the necessary technical support to ensure the success of the program.

Leads the development and application of best practice to drive continuous improvement in a fast paced Engineering, Operations and Logistics environment that meets or exceeds both our internal and external customers’ expectations.
Ensures a high level of productivity, quality and customer service.
Act as primary point of contact for the customer on operational, quality and performance issues.
Monitor project performance to customer requirements and expectations.
Issue regular reports on program performance for all facets of the operation.
Coordinate work of various functional groups such as Operations, IT, Quality, and Billing.
Identify areas of non-conformance and develop remedial plans.
Translate operations needs into draft requirements for IT development.
Manage inventory levels, and quality to ensure timely and accurate order fulfillment.
Resolve customer issues in a timely manner via a customer-defined escalation process and coordination of internal resources.
Conduct regular meetings with Operations/Business managers to ensure customer needs and timelines are achieved.
Required Skills
Process improvement qualification (Lean & Six Sigma) is a huge plus; Green Belt or equivalent proven experience preferred.
Quantifiable and sustained Lean Project and quality initiatives experience with highly achieved results delivery.
Must be comfortable collaborating and influencing others: team members and customers.
Must approach your work with a sense of urgency.
Must be an organized, detail oriented, and self-motivated individual.
Strong analytical, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Have the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Flexibility to travel is required.
Proficiency in MSOffice (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Project), report preparation and data analysis.
SQL knowledge is a plus.
Ability to interpret and comprehend contract language is a plus.
Required Experience
B.S. Degree in Business, Project Management, Supply Chain or related discipline.
4 or more years Program, Operations Management, Lean and Quality experience in fast-paced operations
3 or more years of experience within a high volume supply chain/distribution operations and logistics environment.
PMP Certification preferred.
Previous experience with quality systems a plus.
Experience in the telecommunications or cable industries is preferred.
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 12:04 PM on February 9, 2015

« Older Custom In-Ear Earphone/Monitors Recommendations   |   help me become a dom... Newer »