I need to find a place to park my Sweetooth.

I need to find a great place to have dessert after a concert at Lincoln Center in New York on Saturday night. This is a date situation.

I am guessing that the concert gets out at around 10:00 pm. I am open to a range of options from restaurants, cafes, coffee houses. She is going home to Queens at the end of the night, on the F train I believe, so locations that aren't so far from relevant subway options would be best (ie Soho isn't going to work). I have been rummaging through Yelp now for several hours and cannot zero in on anything. Does anyone have any personal favorites or great suggestions?
posted by incolorinred to Food & Drink (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Cafe Lalo is fantastic, it's a bit of a hike but an easy subway or bus ride from Lincoln Center, and a few blocks from the Natural History Museum subway (B line can get her to the F). It can get crazy crowded, though, especially on a Saturday night.

Sugar & Plumm is closer to Lincoln Center, and a bigger space so you're more likely to get a table quickly - but I've never eaten there so can't vouch for the quality.

Levain bakery has probably the best cookies in town, but there's not really a place to sit. But you could get cookies and then go sit someplace nice, like the lobby of the Belleclaire.
posted by Mchelly at 8:05 AM on February 5, 2015

If the weather is amendable it's a short walk to Nougatine at Jean Georges. You can have dessert at their lovely bar. I've stopped there after events at Lincoln Center. I believe they're open until 11 pm.
posted by rdnnyc at 8:06 AM on February 5, 2015 [2 favorites]

The Magnolia bakery on Columbus at 69th is open until midnight on weekends.

The Smith at Broadway and 63rd is open until 1 am.
posted by brujita at 8:58 AM on February 5, 2015

I absolutely love Levain Bakery, but they're closed after 7 every night.
posted by odin53 at 9:01 AM on February 5, 2015

The Marshal is not a dessert place and would be about a 15-minute walk (or quick subway ride), but makes an AMAZING sundae. And I'm a person who doesn't particularly care for ice cream.
posted by loolie at 11:39 AM on February 5, 2015

YMMV, because it's a diner, but I am fond of the Olympic Flame Diner. A friend of mine went to Fordham's Lincoln Center campus and we went there a ton. I always found it to be pretty reliable and they don't chase you out if you're lingering over a tea and a slice of cake - even if you are by yourself reading a book &; it's crowded! They've got a fairly wide dessert selection that's pretty tasty. It's about 4 blocks away. (Directly behind the lincoln center dorms on 60th)

(Disclaimer, haven't been there in 2 years of so.)

But if you date is a fancy-pants date, then go somewhere else, because, it's a nice diner, but it's still a diner!
posted by firei at 5:24 PM on February 5, 2015 [1 favorite]

Note: there is no B line service on Saturdays. Also there will most certainly be a wait at Cafe Lalo on a Saturday night.

I am lazy and it's cold out, so I'd just head over to Bar Boulud, across the street from Lincoln Center. They are open until 1am for the post-theatre crowd. Maybe the bar at beautiful, modern Lincoln Ristorante if you want something fancier and are dressed to match.
posted by kathryn at 8:29 PM on February 5, 2015 [1 favorite]

Thank you all for great suggestions. I have some good plans and good backups in the area now. The Askmeta world always comes up with something good!
posted by incolorinred at 10:02 AM on February 6, 2015

« Older Tell me about unconventional parenting practises...   |   Testing for Asperger as an adult Newer »