Do we need our Pulse to live?

Are there other apps similar to Pulse that aggregate news and information feeds into a user-friendly interface?

The Mr. and I rely on the Pulse news app as our source of news and information. Yesterday, they released an updated version that requires logging into LinkedIn to access the app. This is a showstopper for us. What are our alternatives?

We like Pulse because we can see headlines from all our sources (local news channels/papers, CNN, NPR, BBC, ESPN, NFL, AskMe, Salon, Deadspin, etc) on the page with minimal scrolling/clicking, then click headlines of interest to read a little more before following the link for the whole story if we're still interested.

I've been using Flipboard for the last two days, which is OK, but I find all the flipping annoying. And as far as I can tell, it's only organized by topic, not source.

We would use the app primarily on iPhones (5 and 6), and sometimes on a iPad mini.

Oh, and I have my apps update automatically, so the damage is done (lesson learned).
posted by jshort to Technology (7 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Have you synced with your computer recently? You can just reinstall the old version. Posted from the last version of pulse before they were bought out by LinkedIn.
posted by mhz at 3:37 PM on February 4, 2015

I use Feedly with some success. It's less graphics-intensive than Pulse, but once I got it properly organized it works pretty well.
posted by suelac at 4:05 PM on February 4, 2015

+1 for Feedly
posted by stinkfoot at 4:10 PM on February 4, 2015

Reeder 2 is a nice RSS app for iOS. (I use it to access my Feedly account. I haven't tried the Feedly app yet, though clearly people are saying good things about that too.)
posted by alms at 8:16 PM on February 4, 2015 [1 favorite]

I switched to Reeder 2 not long after the sale to LinkedIn. Not as pretty, but it works very tidily.
posted by wotsac at 9:00 PM on February 4, 2015

Newsblur perhaps?
Also, I stopped using Flipboard a little while ago, but you can definitely organise it by source rather than topic (unless they changed it radically in the last month or so)
posted by Megami at 10:30 PM on February 4, 2015

Just to follow up... In searching for the suggestions above at the app store, I stumbled upon Newsify which I'm pretty happy with.

I tried Feedly, but it wouldn't let me add more than a couple of sources before insisting that I log in with Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
posted by jshort at 7:32 AM on February 10, 2015

« Older Backyard cottage/DADU owners in Seattle - where...   |   What chai is this Newer »