mov to avi converter?
February 3, 2015 11:38 AM   Subscribe

I need a free .mov to .avi video converter to work with old Adobe Premiere software. Every software I attempt to download gets a big malware warning from Webroot. Are there any free extensions or software available for this purpose?
posted by BillyAnne to Technology (10 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

If your file is less than 100mb you can use the free online service Zamzar. They can convert between most file types.
posted by ChrisHartley at 11:41 AM on February 3, 2015

I've sworn by Format Factory - has handled everything I've thrown at it.
posted by Twicketface at 11:51 AM on February 3, 2015

The tool that usually gets recommended is Handbrake. I've only used it a couple of times, but it does work well. How to.
posted by General Malaise at 11:53 AM on February 3, 2015 [4 favorites]

Any Video Converter is what I use (make sure to uncheck the search bar when you install).
posted by typecloud at 11:53 AM on February 3, 2015

I agree with General Malaise. Handbrake could probably do this. I've used it a lot and never had any problems.
posted by amy27 at 11:58 AM on February 3, 2015

Any Video Converter is an all around champ
posted by edgeways at 12:09 PM on February 3, 2015

ffmpeg ? The command line swiss army knife of this.. MOV to AVI linky
posted by k5.user at 12:11 PM on February 3, 2015

both format factory and handbrake are acceptable free solutions, although handbrake is a little more complicated to use.

(they both employ ffmpeg for their conversions)
posted by royalsong at 12:44 PM on February 3, 2015

Thanks typecloud and edgeways for the Any Video Converter suggestion. It works fine but don't install any of the extras packaged with it. Or don't update it either.
posted by BillyAnne at 2:10 PM on February 3, 2015

There's always VLC player's little known conversion abilities. Just look in the file menu (I think). It will do any codec to any codec.
posted by guy72277 at 1:00 AM on February 5, 2015

« Older How can I fix this fingernail?   |   Cherry Garcia FroYo Change. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.