Real Metafilter accounts, $1.50

I remember a skit on Conan O'Brien years ago (pre-Youtube) that was about a knock-off version of the show on the street done by a host with a thick accent, i.e., the 'fake rolex' of late night shows. The punchline was that Jon Lithgow was actually the special guest. I can't seem to find a link to it or mention of it; can anyone please help?
posted by michaelh to Media & Arts (4 answers total)

I'd suggest hitting the Conan O'Brien fan forums, and asking there. If there are John Lithgow fan sites or forums, you might try there too. You could also try contacting NBC or O'Brien's current show, but good luck getting any help there. Beyond the hurdle of getting somebody at a network to get back to you at all, this would be two series ago, on a network that O'Brien's not on anymore. If you're really determined, you could contact the TV and radio museums in LA or NY.

I don't know if you're trying to find a clip or what, but I wouldn't be too optimistic. If this is pre-Youtube, a lot of talk show stuff was pretty much consigned to oblivion as soon as it aired.
posted by Ursula Hitler at 3:42 PM on February 1, 2015

You may get some traction with looking at the Wikipedia entries for episode lists of his various talk shows. They list the guests for each episode.
posted by Poppa Bear at 7:16 AM on February 2, 2015

Lithgow's Conan appearances are on IMDB.com under "self".
posted by andreap at 11:23 AM on February 4, 2015

Response by poster: Thanks, everyone. It's this episode with Adrian Martinez as "Sidewalk Conan." I was able to find a s14e18 movshare video in google, but it is misnamed as Martin Short is on that episode and the Sidewalk Conan episode doesn't have Martin Short. So, I'll keep looking, but at least I have a good lead now.
posted by michaelh at 10:00 AM on February 5, 2015

« Older Counsellor recommendations in Wellington NZ?   |   And to those of you listening in the year 2100, Newer »