Mystery Tool
January 31, 2015 4:59 PM   Subscribe

What is this mystery tool? It's not really a clamp, since it will not lock into place. I would prefer not to have random guesses, since it's not really helpful, but if you have seen or used this device, you'd solve a great mystery.

There is a thumbscrew on the reverse of that black rubber tipped jaw, which allows it to slide up and down the shaft and be tightened in place, but squeezing the handles makes the jaws move only about 2/3 of an inch closer together, and they cannot be held there. In other words, you can adjust the travel slightly to squeeze, but not clamp an object. So it may be used to force wooden dowels into holes, or for a similar purpose. I have Googled quite a bit, and from "Brookstone" I gather that it may be a tool for luthiers--guitar or violin makers, but I'm not sure about that.
posted by weapons-grade pandemonium to Grab Bag (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Maybe you can find a copy of this which might give you an exact answer.
posted by Northbysomewhatcrazy at 5:16 PM on January 31, 2015 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Brad Setting Tool, for framing pictures.
posted by Confess, Fletch at 5:18 PM on January 31, 2015 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Yeah, it's a brad setter.
posted by misterbrandt at 5:20 PM on January 31, 2015 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Awesome, Fletch. Thank you.
posted by weapons-grade pandemonium at 5:23 PM on January 31, 2015

« Older How to find an intellectual / creative community...   |   How can I make a fun Hearthstone deck? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.