Looking for the name of a play on TV in the UK - probably in the 1960s

From memory it was recorded in Black and White and probably from the 19060s. I saw some of the play on TV about two or three years ago and I didn't catch the name or the writer. At a guess, it was probably originally on BBC TV from the days before there was colour television - which would place it in the 1960s. I don't think it was from the 1950s because there was an air of modernity about the furniture, coats, dresses - I think. It was set in house or modern apartment with modern styling and the whole play may have been silent - as in no spoken words - just gestures and expressions or perhaps the characters mouthed words. We get to see into the psychology of the individuals - jealousy, fear, arrogance, disappointment - all of it under a veneer of civility. The way people moved around in it, it was almost like a ballet - the whole thing was very styled and unnatural - but meant to insightful and realistic about the inner workings of how people interact.

It was set in house or modern apartment with modern styling and the whole play may have been silent - as in no spoken words - just gestures and expressions.

We get to see into the psychology of the individuals - jealousy, fear, arrogance, disappointment - all of it under a veneer of civility.

The way people moved around in it, it was almost like a ballet - the whole thing was very styled and unnatural - but meant to insightful and realistic about the inner workings of how people interact.
posted by Quillcards to Human Relations (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Response by poster: I should have said - the setting was like a 'civilised' party with the hosts and guests that arrived and interacted.
posted by Quillcards at 1:01 AM on January 11, 2015

Abigail's Party?
posted by *becca* at 2:45 AM on January 11, 2015

Possibly one of the Wednesday Play series, Silent Song, which went on to win the Prix Italia.
posted by Segundus at 7:32 AM on January 11, 2015

Silent Song was set in a Trappist monastery, not an apartment.
posted by essexjan at 9:42 AM on January 11, 2015

Hm. It's not British, it's Danish, but do you mean The Perfect Human (Det Perfekte Menneske)?
posted by yellowcandy at 10:58 AM on January 11, 2015

Response by poster: Not 'The Perfect Human' - I watched that from your link @Yellowcandy

Not Abigail's Party - @becca

It maybe had an American feel to it - like it was set in the USA - modern apartment - maybe not - and the reason I say it was almost like a ballet was the stage-y way that coats were taken off and put on, and the way people turned to talk to one another
posted by Quillcards at 2:05 PM on January 11, 2015

Response by poster: Ah, not resolved - still looking for the answer

A metaphor for life.

A metafilter for metaphors.
posted by Quillcards at 4:29 AM on March 11, 2015

« Older Arrangement for my dog may have fallen through....   |   Gift for parents' new marriage and newborn Newer »