Paczki in Boston?

Where in the Boston area might I be able to find pazcki?

Near Somerville would be ideal, but I'm flexible. Either the authentically-Polish-dammit kind or the Polish-American bastardized Midwestern kind suits me fine.
posted by nebulawindphone to Food & Drink (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

If this recent episode of Chronicle is to be believed, then DJ's Market in Dorchester would be a good place to go. Wrong end of the Boston area, though, if you want close to Somerville.
posted by .kobayashi. at 3:56 PM on January 7, 2015

Try Salem; there's a big Polish community there. There's a Polish grocery store in the mall, can't remember the name.
posted by Melismata at 4:27 PM on January 7, 2015

Coffee Time Bakery in Salem has 'em, especially during Lent.
posted by Sheydem-tants at 4:53 PM on January 7, 2015 [3 favorites]

It's not super near Somerville, but Baza Market in Newton Upper Falls has all sort of unusual eastern European items and is a cool place - I can't guarantee paczki but if you like eastern European foods you'd probably like it. From what I see poking around online, this place called Baltic European Deli (Andrew Square, South Boston) should have them.
posted by treehorn+bunny at 5:01 PM on January 7, 2015

Last year I saw them at Star Market next to Fenway Park in Boston. Not sure of the quality, unfortunately.
posted by summit at 6:55 PM on January 7, 2015

Here's the site for Coffee Time Bake Shop and here is their special Paczki page They do have them and they're really good, and they make a big deal out of them. I do believe they are only available during Lent, though.
posted by Miko at 6:59 PM on January 7, 2015

We live around the corner from Coffee Time and our waistlines can attest to their deliciousness.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 3:35 AM on January 8, 2015 [1 favorite]

Do not go looking for paczki during Lent! Most places have them in the weeks *leading up to* Lent. Lent is for fasting and deprivation, not donuts.
posted by mskyle at 4:58 AM on January 8, 2015

You are correct about the timing of Lent, but Coffee Time at least sells them from a couple weeks before Shrove Tuesday through Easter Sunday, so you can find them throughout Lent (and a few weeks before) if you come up here.
posted by Miko at 5:34 AM on January 8, 2015

« Older Disagreements about money negatively impacting our...   |   Looking for opinions on customer service delimma Newer »