NutriBullet Pro 900 watt blender or Nutri Ninja Pro blender?

Which is the better option for making smoothies? If you have experience using one or both, what do you think? Pros and cons? Is there one that is generally considered better than the other? I've found some comparisons online, but I'd love the opinion of the hive mind. Bonus question: what's your favorite smoothie recipe, either nutritious or indulgent?
posted by amro to Food & Drink (6 answers total)

I've had a Ninja Master Prep blender for a few years and it's a really, really good blender, with great build quality. If the Nutri Ninja Pro is as good quality, then I would say go for that one. Here's a video comparing the two, in which the Ninja comes out on top.
posted by essexjan at 8:22 AM on December 27, 2014

I bought the NutriBullet for my husband to use at the office. It lived through 3 smoothies. Ice and frozen strawberries were beyond its capabilities and the connection between the mug and motor stripped. After reading reviews, I bought him the NutriNinja for Christmas. He hasn't had time to put it through it's paces yet.

I agree that a VitaMix would be amazing- I have the 750 at home and adore it- but for a quick morning smoothie at an office where a VitaMix could disappear, I'm hoping the NutriNinja will be the answer.
posted by PorcineWithMe at 9:32 AM on December 27, 2014

Just to be clear, I'm asking about only two brands which are comparably priced. I'm not interested in a Vitamix or Blendtec.
posted by amro at 10:54 AM on December 27, 2014 [2 favorites]

I have the full sized Ninja blender (which I got because I wanted a VitaMix, but couldn't afford one) and I love it. If the little smoothie one is anything like the big one (and I think it's just a different container) then you should totally get one.
posted by Weeping_angel at 11:22 AM on December 27, 2014 [1 favorite]

I used to have a Vitamix a couple years ago. I sold it when I moved and replaced it with a Ninja Master Prep. The Ninja is awesome. I have used it to make smoothies, nut butters, to chop random veggies, to make pesto... it works great and is 1/10th the cost of a Vitamix. I don't expect it to last forever, but so far I am very impressed. Cleanup is also a lot easier compared to the Vitamix. I would think Ninja's other models are just as good.
posted by topsykretts at 7:35 AM on December 28, 2014

I have the Nutra ninja. I got it because the online comparisons said it went at a higher RPM, so better at chopping things up. So far it has worked very well. I don't chop ice however., I do chop frozen fruit which is basically ice I guess.

Here's my favorite recipe: one banana (for texture), 1 cup frozen chopped kale, one cup Trader Joe's orange mango strawberry juice (for flavor), Half cup frozen blueberries, 1 tablespoon honey (I like things really sweet). And 1 tablespoon of little seeds that are popular now as a superfood that I can't remember the name of. Add water as needed to keep the consistency right. Blend in two or three rounds - not all at once. Make sure you don't put too much liquid when blending the kale or it won't chop up right. Also make sure you put enough liquid when blending the kale or the blade will just spin.
posted by bluesky78987 at 4:04 PM on December 28, 2014

« Older Unusual things to do in London first week of...   |   Mania, Anxiety, and Panic, oh my!! Newer »