Camarillo or Camarillo Springs?
December 12, 2014 4:10 AM   Subscribe

There are multiple mudslide reports in "Camarillo Springs, CA" in Ventura County. But isn't just called "Camarillo"? Isn't the golf course "Camarillo Springs?"
posted by mrmarley to Travel & Transportation (6 answers total)

There may be a residential area around the golf course (looks like there is on Google maps) that was developed at the same time as the course for "golf living". It's a disturbingly popular thing. Since Camarillo Springs Road is the first exit after coming down the massive grade from T.O., I'd guess it's pretty prone to mudslides.
posted by LionIndex at 4:50 AM on December 12, 2014

Yep, and Camarillo Springs and the area around the Channel Islands campus had wildfires a year or so back which probably worsened the mudslide risk.
posted by snuffleupagus at 7:14 AM on December 12, 2014

Response by poster: let me refine: why would/are news reports referring to the area as "Camarillo Springs, CA" when there is no such city? is it just a neighborhood? a golf community?
posted by mrmarley at 7:25 AM on December 12, 2014

It's a specific neighborhood of Camarillo. Camarillo is pretty large and the news reports are just pinpointing the exact neighborhood.
posted by Sophie1 at 7:35 AM on December 12, 2014

It's somewhat common, in Southern California at least, to reference towns that aren't really towns but rather parts of larger towns to narrow down a distinct area. Anaheim Hills for example isn't its own city, but a part of Anaheim. And yet everyone I know who lives there puts Anaheim Hills in their address.
posted by cecic at 8:48 AM on December 12, 2014

It's somewhat common, in Southern California at least, to reference towns that aren't really towns but rather parts of larger towns to narrow down a distinct area.

It seems like doubly so for places within the LA metro area. A lot of places in LA that have pretty well-known names aren't their own cities, just neighborhoods within LA, like Hollywood.

Also, the Camarillo Springs development is sort of off on its own from the rest of Camarillo - it's on the south side of the 101 while most of town is on the north, and it's surrounded by farmland on the north and west sides; the south and east sides nestle up against a mountain, and that's where all the residential development is. Camarillo isn't that huge of a town, but Camarillo Springs is fairly segregated from most of it.
posted by LionIndex at 12:20 PM on December 12, 2014 [1 favorite]

« Older Help me manage my club.   |   two travel booking questions Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.