Government bonds
November 13, 2005 3:26 PM   Subscribe

I'm trying to find any example of what a U.S. Treasury security might look like (T-bill, T-note, or T-bond, but not a savings bond). I understand most treasury bonds are electronic now, but it wasn't always that way. The Treasury FAQ says that paper versions still exist. Google Image turns up nothing but oodles of financial graphs no matter what I do. Nothing over 100 years old, please! Versions of this from other countries are fine as long as I can read them in English and they're recent.
posted by zek to Law & Government (2 answers total)
Nothing over 100 years old? have a way of making this difficult.

I know somebody took a picture of such a thing because there was one in an investments book I had a couple years ago. But I sold that back to the school book store or I'd scan it or something.

Here is a partial image of a hundred million dollar treasury note.

Here is a better image of a recent one million dollar treasury bond. Unfortunately, some of the coupons are missing. With a little photoshop magic you could reconstitute the whole thing well enough that most couldn't tell.

Anyway, between the two of those you should get a pretty good idea of what they look like. Basically, a square-ish piece with a lot of frilly stuff on top, in the style of a bank note or stock certificate. Below that are a bunch of coupons, dividing the repayment of the bond up into equal pieces.
posted by jedicus at 6:13 PM on November 13, 2005

Response by poster: Thanks -- I hoped for more responses, but I think the example above will help enormously! Really amazing that the Internet is devoid of such a simple thing.
posted by zek at 8:35 AM on November 14, 2005

« Older Spinal Tap painting ID.   |   Why can't I play dvd's? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.