Get those #)(*% babies off the #($*%&$ plane!

Would you take your 4 month old baby on an overseas flight? We want to fly to Europe next the fall, probably an 8 hour flight from where we are. We're also having our first baby in the spring. We feel like it would be an adventure (!) that could maybe be a bad idea. Has anyone flown overseas and had it gone very well or very terribly? Anything we should know? We are trying to imagine our lives post-baby and we very much want travel to be a part of it, but is 4 months too young?

i have checked out a bunch of other threads on this advice but they're all for babies 6 months and older, which makes me wonder if 4 months is just too little. We feel up for a challenge but also we don't just want unpleasantness, this is supposed to be a vacation that is at least a bit fun.
posted by andreapandrea to Travel & Transportation (32 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Has your baby had all necessary vaccinations, etc.? Despite what some may think, airplanes are literally moving Petri dishes.

Would this flight be a nighttime flight? Airlines do still pass out sleep kits (socks, face masks, ear plugs, lip balm) for sleepy time.

We don't have a baby yet, but know that it's going to have to deal with us and our ridiculous travels. For me, I try to really tire myself out before the flight - get up crazy early, go for a long run, work a busy day and pretty much come home exhausted. Then a hot shower and we are off to the airport. Could you do a baby version of that, so he sleeps most of the time?

Also, pacifier, warm milk, cozy blanket and a squishy toy. :)

Check all liquids, etc. but in your carry on, pack diapers, wipes, baby oil, etc.
posted by floweredfish at 4:45 AM on November 2, 2014 [1 favorite]

Younger is much easier, especially if you're breastfeeding. (Just because you can breastfeed any time on the plane so easily.) Things get more, not less, difficult as babies begin to need more stimulation. Four months is exactly when they start to need a bit more play time, but it can be in your lap. A four month old isn't trying to crawl away from you or frustrated because they've already read that picture book too many times.
Every parent is different, and many fly with babies younger than 4 months, but for me, the concern would not be their behavior but rather exposing them to a lot of germs when they don't have a full immune system. However, I think I'm probably an outlier on that one -- many families certainly travel with infants, usually without their getting sick.

On edit, I agree with the Petri dishes comment :)
posted by third rail at 4:46 AM on November 2, 2014 [5 favorites]

4 months is probably fine. I've flown with smaller babies, though on shorter flights. I'd be a bit concerned about booking all this before the baby's born, though, just because it's good to be sure you have a big strong healthy baby (also not too colicky) before you do embark on a trip. As long as you're fastidious about your own hands, a 4 month old is easier to keep healthy on a plane because they're not grabbing everything and licking it yet. And they're happy to stay in your arms and nurse a lot.
posted by telepanda at 5:00 AM on November 2, 2014 [3 favorites]

We did a 4 hour flight with a 3 month old this fall. It was pretty easy and stress free. I was glad the flight wasn't longer, but I don't think you're crazy to contemplate it.
posted by Kriesa at 5:04 AM on November 2, 2014

I don't have children, but I do remember flying to and from Europe a couple of years ago on Lufthansa (economy class, to boot!) and the flight attendants were amazing with the babies, some of whom were clearly only around 4-6 months old. The Lufthansa attendants put together little bassinets for them at the front and were cooing and lullabying them and I swear they hypnotized those babies into falling asleep. Seriously, they were like flight attendants turned nursery ninjas. Maybe consider flying Lufthansa? It just seems like in addition to whatever worries you're having as a parent, their approach to babies on flights is perhaps more progressive and warmhearted than some others.
posted by nightrecordings at 5:14 AM on November 2, 2014 [4 favorites]

This really really depends on the kid. Some kids will be fine. Others will scream the whole time. Impossible to say which kind of kid you have until they show up!

But the comment about vaccinations is a good one. If you believe in the cocooning theory about babies pre-vaccinations (which complete around 6-7 months) you'd want to skip 8hrs of being cooped with people who may or may not have whooping cough &c.
posted by Potomac Avenue at 5:20 AM on November 2, 2014 [1 favorite]

At that age, an eight-hour flight is difficult, but not impossible. Babies can't be sleep-trained till 5 months and older, so s/he'd be waking every 2-4 hours regardless, so the flight would be a lot of work for the parents. You'd ideally want to schedule it so it doesn't include baby's fussiest times of day. Also, babies don't adjust well to the new time zone. We went from NY to CA when ours was six months, and found ourselves hanging out in diners at 4 am, because NY wake up time was 7 am.
posted by xo at 5:34 AM on November 2, 2014

If you book your flight, pay for the insurance. Babies are great about picking up cold or ear infections the night before a flight, requiring you to postpone. You never know what to expect. I once smiled really sweet and told an airline employee that my children were suitably behaved for a free upgrade to first class. Twenty minutes into the flight, the baby pooped something awful, in first class. I changed her right on my lap, because we are classy like that. People have always been very kind to me when I've flown with infants. I've had multiple offers of help from strangers wanting to open my stroller for me or carry my bag. I had a toddler throw her pacifier as we were going up, from the front of the plane to the back, three times. People kept giggling and passing it back up for the flight attendant to wash.

Plan on spending more than you normally would on incidentals like extra diapers at premium prices. If you can afford to bring along a helper then do. Your arms will get very tired very soon and your back will hurt more than you thought possible. Other than that, you will be fine. Have fun!
posted by myselfasme at 5:43 AM on November 2, 2014 [1 favorite]

Consult with your doctor on this one, with input from what you know about your child's temperament, and both of your traveling styles.

Also ask your doc about the possibility of a safe decongestant--many babies and children, with their smaller eustachian tubes, can experience mild to severe pain on take-off and landing, thus giving rise to a shrieking-infant-from-hell flight.
posted by dancing leaves at 5:51 AM on November 2, 2014

I have to pipe in after reading nightrecordings' response. As a former flight attendant, I ask you not to rely on your flight attendants to help with your baby. The flight attendants are on the plane for your safety. Secondarily, they're there to provide service, but that involves food, drink and comfort, not babysitting.
posted by Wet Hen at 5:52 AM on November 2, 2014 [11 favorites]

I have flown from California to NY with a 4 week old and it was no problem whatsoever. We were on the actual plane for about 6 hours. Mother, daughter and I all slept like babies.

On the other hand, 3 years later, my then 20 month old son was a problem that buying three rows of passengers drinks overcame.
posted by 724A at 5:55 AM on November 2, 2014 [1 favorite]

I've been flying to Europe with my kids since they were newborns. My oldest is 10 now and has logged 100,000 air miles. Here's my thoughts on flying over with kids:

1) Try for an overnight flight. You'll want the kid sleeping as much as possible. A 4 month-old might be in an erratic sleep pattern at that point, but any sleep will make the travel easier for you.

2A) Lap riding or seated? Since your little one is under 2, you can skip buying the kidlet a ticket and let them ride on your lap all the way. BIG cost savings. I think lapriding helps sooth the child and makes them calmer, but some prefer to snug them up in a car seat where they can sleep undisturbed. That'll depend on the kid. Look to see how they travel in a car seat after they are born.

2B) Bulkhead! Some airlines offer bassinets that attach to the bulkhead wall if you are sitting in those seats. Try to book these seats for multiple reasons (more room to move, you can stand and hold the baby in-place, and this bassinet thing). Inquire with the airline if you can request this. I've had limited success with this, though. Some airlines like to change craft before the flight date and suddenly the seat you thought was a bulkhead has been moved to the middle of the cabin. Some airlines misplace the bassinets and can't find them on flight day. Some (looking at you, UAL), discontinued the bassinet and offer a flimsy gym-bag like thing lined with a blanket that you're supposed to place on the floor of the plane. Kid #1 didn't like that at ALL.

3) FAs. Like others have said, some carriers put nicer attendants on their flagship overseas flights. Some put their grumpiest attendants because of seniority (again, cough, UAL). I have nothing but great stories about AA and Lufthansa attendants being more patient with parents holding kids.

4) Noise/Crying #1. You'll need to develop a hard shell if the baby starts to cry. I had one cry THE ENTIRE 8 hours from the US to Germany. There's enough noise in an airplane cabin to mask the small noises, and these days most people are flying with headphones and iPhones anyway. Those that give you dirty looks? Screw 'em. Either they flew as kids and made the same amount of noise and can't remember, or their parents never took them anywhere as kids, or they're just assholes. Ignore them. You'll never see them again after baggage claim.

5) Crying #2. In my experiences a lot of crying seems to trigger during/after takeoff when kids little Eustachian tubes can't handle the pressure change. The general advice is to make sure your baby is feeding/sucking during takeoff and landing. Also talk to your doctor if it's okay to give the baby a small dose of Tynenol and carry some with you on the flight if it's okay. As a last resort, you can try to medicate for ear pain if feeding doesn't help.

6) Diapers/clothes: bring 2x as many diapers as you think you'll need. Your carryon bag should have cleanup wipes, extra pacifiers, extra clothes for the kid, and extra clothes for YOU. The baby will find the midpoint of the trip and use that moment to throw up on your shirt. Now you'll now be clearing immigration with 5-hour-old spitup on your shirt. Being some plastic bags to hold dirty clothes and seal them off. Do NOT change diapers in the cabin. Remember where the handicapped bathroom is on the plane, this one usually has enough room to let you stand and work with the baby on the changing table (which most have now, they flip down from above the toilet). What also works is double-diapering the kid (2 layers) and if the kid has just peed the diaper full, you can quickly rip off the inner diaper and reset the outer one after a quick wipe. This helps if you can't get up to use the bathroom during turbulence, landing, etc.

7) Stroller: get a nice compact stroller that can fold easily. I had this Inglesina Zippy stroller that had large comfy wheels but could fold with one hand. The wheels were great on rough cobblestone streets but easy enough to manage when my hands were full. Use the stroller through TSA to the gate, then gate-check the stroller.

8) Don't forget the car seat. You'll need one if you're going anywhere by car or taxi, maybe by bus too. You can check it in at the front and shouldn't count towards baggage maximums. See if the airlines has a large clear plastic bag they can wrap the seat with. You could wrap it yourself, but make sure it's clear.

I've had a blast taking the kidlets to Europe. A lot of countries over there adore small children. You'll have a bunch of great memories of these trips, I certainly do. Best of luck and, like I said, ignore the idiots.
posted by JoeZydeco at 6:14 AM on November 2, 2014 [9 favorites]

Yes. Vaccines. Wear the baby. Boobs. Extra diapers and clothes. Done. She or he will likely sleep most of the trip.
posted by k8t at 6:17 AM on November 2, 2014

I don't know about 4 months vs 6 months but I can say that we just flew Toronto-Istanbul on Turkish Airlines and there were tons of kids and babies on that 10 hour flight, and everywhere in Istanbul. The whole experience made me realize that Canada could be a LOT more welcoming to children. The Turks were super accommodating and happy about it.
posted by heatherann at 7:06 AM on November 2, 2014 [1 favorite]

Consider getting the extra seat for the baby even though they can sit in your lap. This way you can get the whole row to yourselves. This was you can stretch out, get up when you need to, and hot have someone else needing to get up just when you got the baby to sleep.
posted by nalyd at 7:22 AM on November 2, 2014

Can you travel with a 4 month old baby? Yes. Other people can give you better advice on the practicalities of this (vaccines, timing, etc.)

For the sake of other travellers, babies aren't much fun. Crying during takeoff and landing isn't something most people will care about - crying while everyone is trying to sleep on a 24 hour flight will get you dirty looks. It might be best to see which category your kid is in before any really long flights.

Also, try and get a row to yourself, if possible. If not, once they are slightly older, try and keep the kid from the passengers next to you - a kid poking you in the side is worse than a crying one.
posted by Ashlyth at 7:35 AM on November 2, 2014 [2 favorites]

Just wanted to add that my concern about germs wasn't only about terrible diseases like whooping cough. I myself seem to catch a cold half the time after I take a plane, which is often. There is always someone sneezing or coughing behind us, it seems. If you're going on a short vacation you'll have to decide whether it's worth the risk of the kid coming down with even a cold a few days into your trip. A 4 month old can't blow their own nose, so a 4 month old with a cold would turn a short vacation into an ordeal of pacing makeshift bathroom steamrooms at night and constant nose suction by day. The baby's sheer discomfort from a cold is a bigger risk, probably, than an actual terrible disease, but one that parents might factor in if deciding on a fun, shortish vacation to Europe. That is, maybe, if you're like me and always seem to get sick after taking planes.
posted by third rail at 7:44 AM on November 2, 2014

...crying while everyone is trying to sleep on a 24 hour flight will get you dirty looks.

Like I said earlier (#4), you will encounter people that believe buying a ticket on a long flight entitles them to something resembling a comfy, quiet hotel room with a fully uninterrupted sleep period. No. You are buying transport from point A to point B that just happens to occur overnight. Nobody walks fully refreshed off a 12-15 hour flight except the businessmen in magazine ads.

You will need to remind yourself that your baby has just as much right to be on that airplane as the obnoxious teenager listening to their iPod at +140%, the drunk businessman on his sixth whisky, the dude watching porn on his iPad, and the guy that pulls on every seatback as he struggles up the 75 degree incline from the bathroom back to his seat. At the least YOU will be the parent that tries to minimize and mitigate the disturbance. The fact you're asking shows that.

There will be other baby-carrying parents that will be more obnoxious than you. I can personally guarantee that.

People, in general, are awful. Airplanes are one place where that awfulness is concentrated and distilled into pure WTF. There are blogs to remind us of this now.

So just remember this as you steel your resolve for flight. And it will all pass in very short time.
posted by JoeZydeco at 8:08 AM on November 2, 2014 [7 favorites]

N'thing the general consensus that you can certainly do an 8-hour flight with a 4-month-old; but I think the question of whether you should is quite a bit more open than some of these answers would suggest.

The thing is, there's a TON of variance in first-baby experiences at 4 months out. The best babies I've known, on their best days, would indeed be a dream on a transatlantic flight. But many of the babies at the middle of the bell curve-- nice babies who happen to have caught a cold recently, or who're going through a sleep regression, or who like to be briskly walked to sleep but now they can't because the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign is on; or grumpier babies, even at the best of times-- would be a miserable handful for you and everyone else. Babies on the difficult end of the spectrum-- babies with colic, slightly preemie babies with delicate respiratory systems-- would range from "total effing nightmare the whole vacation through" to "just not safe to fly, nope nope nope."

Unfortunately, you have no way of knowing which of all those babies is going to be your baby, and you likewise have no idea what condition you'll be in this time next year. I've certainly had weeks with both my (lovely, well-behaved, enthusiastically-nursing, easily-soothed) babies where packing so much as a toothbrush or boarding a bus across town would have been entirely out of the question from a logistical and energy-management standpoint. Given that you're just talking about a fun jaunt around Europe, not a meeting of the UN or anything, I'd say think long and hard about whether the potential upside of travel outweighs the potential downside of finding you've pre-booked a very expensive trip that you now either can't take or have to take and not enjoy at all. Life does return to normal post-baby, but 4 months out is still too early to count with certainty on that having happened. In your place, I'd hold off until I knew a bit more about what I was in for.
posted by Bardolph at 8:35 AM on November 2, 2014 [2 favorites]

I currently have a 3-month-old baby, and although I pondered travel before having him, now that he's here I'm definitely less enthusiastic about the idea. He's even a pretty well-behaved baby.

How do you do when you're sleep deprived? I'm terrible when I don't get enough sleep, and my life has been kind of suboptimal lately, and trying to do a full day of sightseeing with the baby sounds quite tricky. Are you happy with having to find some place every two hours to nurse or bottle feed your baby? What if nursing takes 45 minutes? Are you happy carrying around piles of diapers, wipes, and a change of clothes or two? Are you a heavy sleeper who can sleep through various baby grunts and squirms? Do you plan to co-sleep or drag a long a pack-and-play or other sleeping space for your baby?

Honestly, I wouldn't make these plans before your baby is around, to see how you are doing those first couple of months. If you're doing great, and have no problems taking your baby out and about in town, then sure, book that flight to Europe.
posted by that girl at 8:55 AM on November 2, 2014 [1 favorite]

I think people focus on the flight because that is the source of so many horror stories but one of the real questions is the whole trip.

4 months is a pretty good age to travel in terms of portability. If (and it is if) your baby likes to be worn in a carrier like the Ergo, and you are all healthy, I think walking around looking at beautiful European things would be great. As mentioned above, progress may be totally slow...in a 3 hour period think about an hour and a half that is not feeding/changing/soothing/moving the baby around.

Adult feeding on that schedule can be tricky. At 4 months you may still get away with the sleeps-in-stroller/carseat/restaurant friendly stuff. One of mine was great that way. The other required quiet for anything more than a 20 min catnap so we would have been pretty stuck for naps...the same child at 4 months was a wriggler and shrieker so eating out was a rush job, or had to happen where we had entertainment for him, defined as "somewhere I can roll, kick, or there is someone interacting with me in my approved manner." Takeout from local markets/bakeries was fine.

Sleep and stays is really the big one. Are you staying with family and friends? Or will you all be stuck in a small pensione whispering at each other and hoping the drunk people don't stomp down the hall singing? If you're already sleep deprived, dealing with extra sleep deprivation can be rage-inducing. Plus it makes handling logistics so much worse.

At 4 mos my babies could propel themselves off things and lick the floor yet hitting the "wall" of a playpen was An Affront so the trips we took were not relaxing at night. At all. Between scarfing meals and nursing a glass of wine alone or going out on my own while my spouse was on baby/kid duty I felt a bit like we were spending money for 1/6th the experience, if that. Which is totally fine but even with extensive kid experience before having my own, I was not prepared for.

That said, it got harder until about 2.5. But now it would be awesome if we were not spending on childcare to the extent that the big trips gave to wait 2 years longer (my youngest is 3.5)
posted by warriorqueen at 9:49 AM on November 2, 2014 [2 favorites]

And, so you know, for every person that gives you the stink eye, there will be five other parents on the plane who will be kind and understanding.

If we had it to do over we'd have travelled a lot more before our son started crawling. Enjoy it while you have the option; once they're mobile it can be a non-stop wrestling match from nose up to wheels down.

As for sleep deprivation, just go with it. Honestly. Just accept you'll be tired. You're already tired, you'll probably be a little more tired on a trip. It's not any greater an ordeal than you're already enduring unless you focus on it. If you have to, take turns strolling or walking the baby while the other sleeps. It'll be fine.
posted by TryTheTilapia at 10:08 AM on November 2, 2014 [1 favorite]

Oh bah bloody humbug to those people suggesting it's a problem. My reason for joining metaFilter when my daughter was three months old was to ask about travelling with her when she was four months old. To India. From Australia. On a plane.

As wise k8t said above, wear your baby, if possible breast feed (convenience, not because bottle isn't a perfectly good alternative) ask for the bulkhead bassinet and take lots of baby wipes to clean hands because, yeah, planes really are Petri dishes. Also...take baby paracetamol/acetaminophen.

Sod the haters, take the baby. Four months old is the easiest age ever. Then four years old is the next easiest age. The inbetween years can sometimes be a challenge.

Rock on. It'll be easy peasy, not too squeezy.
posted by taff at 10:34 AM on November 2, 2014 [2 favorites]

+1 to the advice above. We've done it with a four month old with no problems -- just don't expect to get any sleep, but it was absolutely fine! Wear the baby (security has never made me take a baby off in a Moby or Ergo), and walk the aisles in it to get him/her to sleep. Real problem for us was jet lag, but to be honest, she was such a bad sleeper anyway that it didn't make a huge difference to our lives. (Some books have ways you can adjust beforehand, but we weren't that organized.) Go! :)
posted by caoimhe at 12:09 PM on November 2, 2014 [1 favorite]

Some friends of mine took their five month old to Germany (combined work/fun trip) and had no problems. He slept fine in the bassinet onboard the plane (they were flying Lufthansa) and sure, didn't adjust immediately to the jetlag, but neither did the parents so everyone just dealt with being off for a couple of days. They got a framed backpack -- not just a Babybjorn -- to carry him around and keep it easier on their backs, and he was totally cool with that. They gave the experience an A++ would recommend, as far as ages for long trips with babies.

(Caveat: they both travel a lot overseas for work, are used to long flights, jetlag adjustment, culture shock, public transportation with signage in languages they don't understand, buying unfamiliar OTC drugs at foreign pharmacies, etc. All of this probably made it a lot easier for them to handle with a baby than for your average once-in-a-blue-moon tourist. YMMV.)
posted by olinerd at 12:33 PM on November 2, 2014

I traveled with my son from SFO -> IAD and back when he was two months old, and then from SFO -> MCO (Orlando) and back for a corporate conference when he was three months ago. For both of those trips, I traveled with my husband. When he was 5 months old, I traveled from SFO -> DTW with him by myself. The only one where it was tricky and I got bad looks was the DTW trip because my son wouldn't settle. Yes, babywearing will make life easier. We would also bring a standard size pillow to put on our laps to create a little baby nest for our son to sleep. But I figure if you are doing an international flight, you'd try to get a bulkhead seat where you can utilize the airline provided bassinet.

I was actually more worried about my son making it through a 3.5 hour car ride than flying on a cross country flight.

If you absolutely have to book the flights now, book the trip with insurance or flexible flights so you can cancel if your child ends up being more of a fussy child.

posted by msladygrey at 2:12 PM on November 2, 2014

I took my kid from California to London non-stop when she was 3 months. Not a problem at all. Book a bulkhead seat in economy and reserve a bassinet or book a biz class seat and have the kid sleep on you. I did one on the way there, the other on the way back. Fine both ways.
posted by w0mbat at 5:48 PM on November 2, 2014

I took my son on a plane when he was five months old for a five hour flight. We rang ahead and requested a spare seat in between my husband and I, if one was available. It was and we gave him a bottle on takeoff to spare his ears, then lay him down on a cushion on the seat between the two of us and he basically slept almost the entire trip. Of course, we are now about to do the same trip with him as three year old along with his 18 month old sister. Two toddlers trapped on a plane for five hours, god help me. What I wouldn't do for him to be five months old again. Basically the younger the child is the better. Go, go now. Don't wait til they're older!
posted by Jubey at 7:02 PM on November 2, 2014

We flew from the UK to Australia and back again with a new born (1month on the way out 2 months on the way back) and again when she was 1yro. Younger was easier, but neither was an issue.
We flew to Thailand with kids aged under one, 3 and 5 without drama too.
I wouldn't over think this, just enjoy your trip.
posted by bystander at 10:18 PM on November 2, 2014

I just wanted to add one more comment regarding babies and diseases. We've flown with our kids a lot, and continue to fly with our kids a lot, but each kid has had a real scare with airplane-induced disease, one during the trip and one after. The child who got sick on the trip was 15 months old at the time and spent the last three days of the trip limp, feverish, screaming in apparent pain, and refusing all food and most liquids; I had to (with ped's blessing) drug him with Benadryl to get him through the flight home because we were concerned about ear infections and not sure he could handle the takeoff and landing.

The child who got sick after the trip was 7 months old at the time (previously very healthy) and had what started as a cold, but turned into serious respiratory distress requiring admission to the pediatric Intensive Care Unit, with continuing occasional episodes of respiratory distress out of the blue for a few months after.

Obviously there are germs in your local environment as well, and not traveling will not prevent your children from getting sick. Nor is the point to be apocryphal. You just need to be aware going into it that travel involves an extra layer of risk, and you may discover that your risk tolerance changes once your baby is here (or not! You won't know til s/he's here.)
posted by telepanda at 7:40 AM on November 3, 2014

thanks everyone! just popping back in here to say we booked the flights!

our reasons for going are these (in case you were wondering or in case this helps other parents):

- we can risk it. we hope that our kid (and we!) will be healthy enough to get on that flight. If not, we have travel insurance (which only works i guess if you have to be in the hospital? but whatever.) obviously if our baby is sick we won't get on the plane. and yes, it might catch something on the plane but anything could happen anywhere. we are willing to risk it.

- the flights were cheap enough that it made sense to book it now (fly to iceland from boston) and hope for the best. buying an extra seat is SO expensive and there is no time in our lives when it will be more affordable to travel than RIGHT NOW. also iceland is amazing.

- we want to be the kind of parents who figure out how to travel with a kid when the kid is too young to really freak out about mom and dad not knowing what to do in every moment. we figure as long as there is food and us (and we are pretty great) the kid will be happy. we are okay with some less-than-comfortable moments.

- if we waited until after the baby was born, SERIOUSLY would we actually book a flight to go somewhere? that's insane, traveling with a baby! we would make up a million excuses as to why we should wait. and then the kid would be 2 and then we couldn't afford it. it's kind of like us daring our future selves to live boldly. we will probably partly hate our decision but then we will be glad we did it afterwards.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! We will look into vaccinations and nose pumps and all the rest of it when the time comes. Also, as someone who hates flying next to babies (ie every human ever), I can empathize with the people who said "think of the others," but honestly, i would never base my decision to fly with my child based on other people's potential reactions. :) I figure that my job as a parent is to make my baby as comfortable as possible, after that, everyone crosses their fingers.

(Also, our kid is going to be amazing. So there's that. )
posted by andreapandrea at 7:00 PM on November 4, 2014

Awesome!

The fact you're gonna treat the little one like a member of the family and not a 18-year speedbrake on your life is a great, great thing. Have a great trip!
posted by JoeZydeco at 12:49 PM on November 8, 2014 [1 favorite]

« Older Who were the Pre-Indo-Europeans?   |   Mouthwash and toothpaste at the same time. Newer »