Recommend Mrs Peteyjlawson a phototherapy lamp, anybody?
October 28, 2014 3:41 PM   Subscribe

Hi folks, in a previous AskMeFi the idea of phototherapy for my wife's psoriasis was a popular one. So, can anybody recommend a phototherapy lamp? Snowflakes inside.

We've not seen a specialist yet, but we did go on holiday and her psoriasis responded really well to sunlight, so we've decided to take the plunge and look for a phototherapy lamp. Has anybody got any experience with commercially-available ones or are we better off paying for a course of treatment? If it's a better idea to buy one, can anyone recommend a decent model that's available in the UK? It's for her foot and the budget would be under £500. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
posted by peteyjlawson to Health & Fitness (2 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
Best answer: I use the Dermfix 1000MX UV-B and have been pleased by the results. It is just the right size for use on her foot. You can buy it through Amazon UK as per the previous link, or direct from the manufacturer's website.
posted by ladybird at 11:55 PM on October 28, 2014 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Please start phototherapy under the supervision of a specifically trained dermatology team. I've gone from horrible big patches to 99.5% clear, but the light strength / duration is not something I'd want to faff with on my own. Even with narrowband UVB, you can burn a lot faster than you'd think (which can trigger worse outbreaks). The therapy will also make skin more photosensitive overall.

The machinery and bulbs should also be checked annually. Sorry I don't have a specific thing to recommend besides that my clinic uses a Daavlin cabinet.
posted by mimi at 7:25 PM on October 29, 2014 [1 favorite]

« Older Credit impacts of renting a second apartment in...   |   Why do I regret turning down this job opportunity? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.