I-90 East road trip, where do we stop for pie ? Diner reco needed

You are driving from Buffalo to Boston on the I-90. It’s past 9pm. You need a good diner (coffee, pie, grease) to stop at that isn’t too far off the highway or too close to Boston, to break up the drive. Where do you stop?
posted by walkinginsunshine to Food & Drink (13 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Circle Diner, Latham NY. Take 87 north a few exits in Albany.
posted by bowbeacon at 7:48 AM on October 15, 2014 [1 favorite]

The Whately Diner in Massachusetts is great, if you can make it that far. Added bonus, depending on where you're going in Boston, you can make the switch easily to route 2, which I find a nicer drive across Massachusetts than I90.
posted by General Malaise at 7:55 AM on October 15, 2014 [4 favorites]

If it's not too long after 9:00, Grandma's. Thruway exit 24, 0.5 mile north on I-87 to exit 2E, about 1 mile east on Central Ave. (NY Route 5).
posted by jkent at 8:07 AM on October 15, 2014

Seconding Grandma's in Albany.
posted by tckma at 8:32 AM on October 15, 2014

Local Burger in Northampton, MA.

Nerdy burgers made out of buffalo, mushroom, etc.
posted by entropone at 8:48 AM on October 15, 2014

joe's diner, lee, MA, if you can get there by around 8 PM. I think they close at 9.
posted by beagle at 9:54 AM on October 15, 2014

There are service plazas on the Mass Pike eastbound at Lee, Blandford, Ludlow, Charlton, and Natick. (Lee is the furthest west.)

These are places you can stop without leaving the toll road for gas and food.
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 10:25 AM on October 15, 2014

They will not have pie.
posted by maryr at 12:49 PM on October 15, 2014 [2 favorites]

I want to +1 the Whately Diner, but it's a bit out of the way from I90.
posted by bobafet at 2:12 PM on October 15, 2014

They will not have pie.

Not the kind you want to be eating, anyway.
posted by Aizkolari at 2:46 PM on October 15, 2014 [1 favorite]

Oh, Whately - I spent so much of my college years doing late-night trips to the Whately Diner. It's really good. As bobafet said, it is quite a ways off of I-90, but I also agree with General Malaise that the drive from there to Boston on Rt. 2 is really quite nice, and getting off of the Pike is generally a plus for all reasons. This would be what I'd do in your shoes. However, if you opt to stop in Albany, the city really is amazingly convenient for on-and-off of the Thruway; I'd do this if I didn't want to stray from the original route.
posted by AthenaPolias at 6:04 PM on October 15, 2014

Open 24/7 a few miles north of I-90 as it passes through Albany: the Latham 76 Diner in (as you might expect) Latham, NY. Just a good solid diner all around. They also have a beer/wine/liquor license for those of you who aren't in the driver's seat.
posted by letourneau at 6:19 PM on October 15, 2014

FYI, I believe there's some construction on the Boston end of I-90 - that shouldn't be a problem if you're getting in to town late, but you might want to look into it.
posted by maryr at 9:13 PM on October 15, 2014

« Older How do I make this awesome plastic cauldron safe...   |   Hello STL! Newer »