Intersex 101?
October 11, 2014 4:58 PM   Subscribe

I am very grateful that every time there's a post concerning trans issues here that the community posts a trans 101 link, and I'm wondering if any of you know of a reliable link that lists valid and non-offensive information about intersex people. Specifically, I would like to be a lot more culturally competent around issues of gender assignment at birth, surgery, helping an intersex child realize their identity, and the like.
posted by roomthreeseventeen to Education (5 answers total) 16 users marked this as a favorite

I have found mefi's own DrMew's blogs accessible and fascinating and informative. He dropped a link to this post into a discussion on the blue a while back, and there's also the intersex tag on his other blog (the one linked in his profile).
posted by rtha at 5:36 PM on October 11, 2014 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Thanks, everyone.

kalessin, I actually don't even know enough to talk particular conditions. I'm not intersex myself, but I would like to be a better ally.
posted by roomthreeseventeen at 6:29 PM on October 11, 2014

I've learned a lot from Inter/Act Youth, a group of people with DSDs from 14-25 years old. It wouldn't take too long to read through their whole blog.
posted by Juliet Banana at 1:42 PM on October 12, 2014

You may want to check out the documentary Intersexion.
posted by snorkmaiden at 5:00 PM on December 5, 2014

« Older Unscented antiperspirant/deodorant   |   Strapless bras... in 36H? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.