RIYL The movies of Mike Leigh, BoJack Horseman

I've liked the Mike Leigh movies that I've seen - that sort-of-realistic, slice-of-life, kind of happy, kind of sad, this-is-how-we-settle-for-what-we-can-get-from-life-while-getting-what-we-can feel is pretty nice. What other movies, TV shows, & books can give me that same vibe? (BoJack Horseman gave me the same feel. Ditto Frances Ha, though it made me a bit more sad.) Thanks!
posted by Going To Maine to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

Try the films of Ken Loach . Riff Raff (<-link to YT trailer) is a personal favorite of mine, though it's characters have such intense regional British accents that it is frequently shown with subtitles, even to English-speaking audiences.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 4:05 PM on September 27, 2014

Loach is often about not settling but still worth watching.

Another slice of life UK director is Shane Meadows. Personally I love twenty four seven, this would fit your description pretty well, as would Somer's Town.
posted by biffa at 4:13 PM on September 27, 2014 [1 favorite]

If you transplant that vibe to Italy in the go-go 50s/60s, then you've got a lot of Fellini's early(ish) work, especially I Vitelloni and Nights of Cabiria.
posted by Bromius at 5:43 PM on September 27, 2014

Short Term 12 fits in with this, even if it's a bit more on the sad side, as does

Coming of age movies are good for this kind of thing, in particular I'd recommend My Life as a Dog, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Adventureland, Lukas Moodyson's movies to varying degrees, and Noah Baumbach's The Squid and the Whale, to continue where you started with Frances Ha.

The Apartment is a real special brand of bittersweet.

Beginners might be a little quirky for some but is very charming.

Bill Forsyth's films often have a hint of comic magic realism, and they are a delight. I think about Comfort and Joy often, but you can't go wrong with Local Hero either. Gregory's Girl is great as well but there's a bad generic Scottish dub version that they did over the original heavy (for the movies, it's really like a mumbly Trainspotting level) Glaswegian accents. It's distracting, seek out the original Glaswegian version, and if you have trouble understanding then use subtitles.

Oh and Cinema Paradiso.

And Freaks and Geeks if you already haven't on the TV side.
posted by JauntyFedora at 12:12 AM on September 28, 2014 [1 favorite]

Nicole Holofcener's Walking and Talking captures this nicely.
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 2:52 PM on September 28, 2014

This 2009 AskMe might be useful:

What foreign film titles are there that involve remarkably realistic characters -and- settings as part of the plot and use a contemporary setting?

I'll re-recommend Thomas McCarthy (The Station Agent, The Visitor) and the Belgian Dardenne Brothers (L'Enfant is a fantastic small film, with sharply observed characters and lots of emotional weight).
posted by mediareport at 9:10 PM on September 28, 2014

Ang Lee's "The Ice Storm," and Terrance Malick's "Tree of Life."
posted by jbickers at 7:07 AM on September 29, 2014

Hal Ashby and Robert Altman films.
posted by ElectricGoat at 10:00 AM on September 29, 2014

« Older E-mail doesn't sync across devices   |   Perspective on the idea of "growing apart" in a... Newer »