Is there a Tumblr app for Android that isn't terrible?

I like reading my Tumblr feed on my (Android) phone. But the official app doesn't work. Are there any third-party options that do?

Basically, the app only loads pictures sporadically - I'd say somewhere between half and three-quarters of the images I try to load are just grey boxes that stay grey boxes no matter how long I wait without scrolling or reload the program to try again. I know that if I hate the official Twitter app there are a whole smorgasboard of options I can try instead - are there any such solutions for the other T----r site?
posted by Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish to Computers & Internet (10 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Do you tap the gray boxes? When I tap the gray boxes, the picture starts downloading. Still a pain, but not quite so terrible.
posted by ocherdraco at 7:52 AM on September 26, 2014

Response by poster: When I tap the gray boxes I get a full-screen gray box that doesn't load (this is not the tap-to-load gray box with an arrow in it). Occasionally, if I wait a while and then hit the back button, the picture then appears, but that is, to put it mildly, inconvenient for a photoset of any size.
posted by Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish at 7:57 AM on September 26, 2014

Sigh. That's super lame. I guess we'll have to continue to wait for Xkit for Android, then.
posted by ocherdraco at 8:34 AM on September 26, 2014

Do you have this problem all the time? I find I tend to have the gray-boxes problem if I'm not somewhere with a great connection (whether it's 4G or wireless). The Tumblr app seems to be more finicky about the connection strength than any other app I use.
posted by fiercecupcake at 9:28 AM on September 26, 2014

Response by poster: I have the problem on wi-fi at work, which is iffy, and at home, which is reliable and fast. I don't use it on cellular because it eats through my data cap like a digital Matter-Eater Lad.

(I've already done a good bit of troubleshooting on this. Even factory resetting the phone, which happened for other reasons but is still a thing I did, didn't fix it. If the answer to my question is no, you can just say no. I won't be offended.)
posted by Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish at 9:36 AM on September 26, 2014

How does it perform directly in a browser?

There used to be a very cool Tumblr app for iOS, but development stopped on it due to so many interface changes on Tumblr's end, I think. The official app works better now, so it wasn't a big loss. But, that could be the reason for no good Android apps.
posted by soelo at 10:36 AM on September 26, 2014

Best answer: Flipboard.
posted by hooray at 11:38 AM on September 26, 2014

Response by poster: How does it perform directly in a browser?

Painfully unresponsive. Which is why I downloaded the app in the first place.

Shame about the history there.
posted by Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish at 11:40 AM on September 26, 2014

Response by poster: Flipboard works! I can't see tags and the stupid flipping animation is cumbersome, but it loads things, so that's a definite step up. Thanks!
posted by Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish at 12:08 PM on September 26, 2014

I don't know if you're still checking this post since it's a little aged now, but if you're just looking to scroll your dash I recommend giving Washboard a try. Its primary purpose is to allow saviour/xkit-style blacklisting on mobile, but it also gives you wrapped tags, pictures that actually load, and a paginated dashboard.
posted by ArmyOfKittens at 5:34 AM on September 28, 2014 [1 favorite]

« Older Far future, alien-feeling SF recommendations   |   Apps for young readers Newer »