Kanji translation help

Can anyone tell me what this means?

It's on a t-shirt I was looking at buying as a gift, so thought it might be a good idea to find out what it says first. Thanks!
posted by Put the kettle on to Writing & Language (5 answers total)

Student-quality answer only, here.

It says "Shokin Kasegi."

"Bounty" wouldn't be a bad translation. As in a reward money. Possibly a reference to a 1969 movie or a later TV show.

Curious to see what a real answer is.
posted by tyllwin at 1:56 PM on September 20, 2014

OMG, I left out a line
"Shokin" is "Bounty"
The "Kasegi" is "Hunter"
posted by tyllwin at 2:13 PM on September 20, 2014

Ah, the t-shirt has Boba Fett on it, so that sounds about right :) Thank you!
posted by Put the kettle on at 2:34 PM on September 20, 2014

> The "Kasegi" is "Hunter"

稼ぐ means "to earn", so 稼ぎ is "earning(s)/earner", but it is correct that the phrase 賞金稼ぎ is "bounty hunter" or "bounty hunting", depending on the context. 賞金, of course, is prize or reward money.

My experience is that the English-derived バウンティハンター is the more common expression, though. That makes me think that the t-shirt was more likely than not not designed by a native speaker of Japanese.
posted by Tanizaki at 6:44 AM on September 21, 2014

"Bounty Hunter" is also a well-known clothing brand in Japan (though its heyday has passed), and it's not unknown for a Japanese brand to back-translate its name onto a shirt for novelty's sake, but I don't know if that's the case here.
posted by Bugbread at 9:44 PM on September 21, 2014

« Older Why is my cell phone coverage in England so bad?   |   Transfering files to iPhone without computer? Newer »