Good curated Internet Radio stations?
September 11, 2014 8:27 AM   Subscribe

I'm looking for good curated, genre-oriented streaming radio stations. I'm already a fan of Soma FM and Digitally Imported but am always looking for more variety.

Genres I like: Electronica, trance, rock, classic rock, chillout/ambient, classical.

I'm especially interested in stations that have been curated by humans, not just tagged by genre like iTunes Radio. It would be nice to find some that were a bit less genre-focused too (i.e. playing a wide assortment of electronic genres rather than strictly "mid 90s deep house with female vocals".

With/without DJs, with/without commercials are fine. NOT INTERESTED IN Pandora, Spotify, or anything that auto-generates playlists based on what I like. I want stations with personality.

Thanks!
posted by mmoncur to Media & Arts (17 answers total) 29 users marked this as a favorite

Best answer: Songza
posted by PuppetMcSockerson at 8:29 AM on September 11, 2014 [3 favorites]

Best answer: If you're willing to pay a little, Hearts of Space has been around forever and is fantastic.
posted by jbickers at 8:34 AM on September 11, 2014 [1 favorite]

Best answer: For classical, there's Radio Stephansdom, which I believe is an actual radio station out of Vienna. They have very few station breaks and no commercials. They seem to play full works as well, i.e. entire operas and symphonies rather than just one movement or aria. (But on Sundays there's quite a bit more talking -- I don't speak German but it's cleary some kind of religious programming.)
posted by paper chromatographologist at 8:38 AM on September 11, 2014

You know that they do have some curated stations on iTunes Radio, right? They call them "Guest DJ" stations, and while specific stations go in and out of availability, there are always a couple in the Featured Stations.
posted by Rock Steady at 8:39 AM on September 11, 2014

Best answer: Radio Paradise is an amazing, amazing internet-only radio station. Genre is rock(ish) but it's very wide-ranging and includes every genre you list above. Its most defining point is how humanly curated the playlist is. If I were to give it any criticism it's for over-representing classic rock, but that station has been responsible for me discovering more new music than Pandora or anything else.
posted by mcstayinskool at 8:41 AM on September 11, 2014 [7 favorites]

Radio FG?
posted by Thorzdad at 9:06 AM on September 11, 2014

Best answer: FIP Radio out of France is awesome.

There's even a FPP about it!
posted by kuanes at 9:11 AM on September 11, 2014

I am partial to the community programed station (people sign up for shifts for music they love) WERU in Blue Hill Maine, which is quite ecclectic
posted by shothotbot at 9:42 AM on September 11, 2014

Dublin's Favourite Power FM is very often actual humans spinning actual plastic and has a wide range of mostly danceable tunes.

Lots of people love London's Kiss FM. I find them far too chatty myself but depending on your time zone you might be able to miss the day time.
posted by nevan at 9:52 AM on September 11, 2014

If you like Community Radio, I'd like to recommend our (Tampa Bay's) own WMNF.

Creative people, awesome DJ's, eclectic mix of shows, 24 hours a day.
Not counting all that NPR and Democracy Now stuff, of course.
posted by John Kennedy Toole Box at 10:05 AM on September 11, 2014 [1 favorite]

Another community radio option: KFAI, Twin Cities. Lots of different programs and genres here, and plenty of personality.
posted by Orange Dinosaur Slide at 11:52 AM on September 11, 2014

Sanctuary
posted by Jacen at 1:19 PM on September 11, 2014

Best answer: I don't know if it streams outside of Germany, but byte.fm is probably right up your alley. The moderation is in German but the music selection fits your description.
posted by chillmost at 2:18 PM on September 11, 2014

Response by poster: Thanks all! I have some listening to do!
posted by mmoncur at 3:48 PM on September 11, 2014

8tracks is exactly what you're looking for.
posted by persona au gratin at 1:05 AM on September 12, 2014

Also, KCRW has a ton of great DJs, and all their shows are archived. I like in particular Henry Rollins and Jason Bentley.
posted by persona au gratin at 1:10 AM on September 12, 2014

It's a lot less active community-wise than it used to be, but EggRadio.
posted by getawaysticks at 1:17 PM on September 12, 2014

« Older How can I feel alive at 6am?   |   What is the statistical probability of me passing... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.