How do I reclaim flood damage costs from a condo unit above me?
September 2, 2014 4:35 PM   Subscribe

Last week a condo unit above mine had an accidental flood. The water damaged about nine units including mine. As a resident in Ontario, how do I reclaim my expenses for the damage he caused.

I have condominium insurance with a $1000 deductible. The condo board has a flood repair crew ripping out my ceiling and has installed dehumidifiers and fans. I understand the condominium will cover then damage to the common areas/structure, but anything inside my unit is my problem. Am I really on the hook for the $1000 deductible? Can I get that from his insurance or can I sue?
posted by jmmpangaea to Law & Government (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Ask your insurance how to do this. Usually what happens is that you pay your deductible, and their insurance pays you back for it.
posted by jeather at 4:36 PM on September 2, 2014 [2 favorites]

File a claim with your insurance, usually the insurance of the offending unit/building/condo assn will cover the deductible via subrogation.
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 4:54 PM on September 2, 2014 [1 favorite]

Call your strata and ask for their insurance information too.
posted by Chaussette and the Pussy Cats at 5:41 PM on September 2, 2014

However it plays out going forward, keep everything and take photos/video.
posted by Freedomboy at 9:44 PM on September 2, 2014

Response by poster: Thank you. All helpful answers. I believe what Ruthless said is going to happen here.
posted by jmmpangaea at 6:29 PM on September 3, 2014

Response by poster: So there was a clause in the condo declaration that prevents owners going after other owners for things like this.
posted by jmmpangaea at 5:56 PM on October 28, 2014

« Older Pre-bedtime activities for ADD spouse? (No, not...   |   You can't have a reprint unless you tell us why... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.