What is this plant called?
September 2, 2014 10:40 AM   Subscribe

I would like to purchase this plant for my garden -- it's blue(ish) and spiky. Image is here. But I can't figure out what it's called. Thank you!
posted by Lescha to Home & Garden (7 answers total)
Best answer: hard to tell without the flowers, but could be a blue oatgrass , Helictotrichon sempervirens

posted by JPD at 10:44 AM on September 2, 2014

Best answer: Looks like it could be blue oat grass.
posted by o0dano0o at 10:46 AM on September 2, 2014

Best answer: Looks like blue fescue.
posted by florencetnoa at 10:49 AM on September 2, 2014

It looks more like blue fescue to me.
posted by Anwan at 10:55 AM on September 2, 2014

Looks like Festuca glauca to me. Most popular cultivar is called 'Elijah Blue'

A good solid resource for plant information is the Missouri Botanical Garden's website, (MoBot!) which I've linked above.

and in a moment of irony, their site doesn't seem to be up. But I'm sure it will be up again in a moment or two.
posted by sciencegeek at 11:35 AM on September 2, 2014 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: it's pretty short stuff (about 5 inches tall) -- so Elijah Blue makes sense. Sorry, I forgot to mention the height of it.
posted by Lescha at 11:42 AM on September 2, 2014

Yes, that's fescue, not oat grass. "Boulder Blue" is bluer than "Elijah Blue" and stays more compact.
posted by oneirodynia at 9:33 PM on September 2, 2014

« Older Where to buy blazers?   |   Is it possible to stream turntable to Sonos? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.