What is the official word for this medical thing?
August 29, 2014 7:41 AM   Subscribe

So, what do medical professionals call those bars around the bed so patients don't roll out?

I'm a non-medical professional writing something short that will be read mostly by medical people, so I'm looking for something precise.

posted by angrycat to Writing & Language (6 answers total)
Bed rails.
posted by _Mona_ at 7:42 AM on August 29, 2014 [2 favorites]

Side rails or bed rails.
posted by latkes at 7:42 AM on August 29, 2014 [1 favorite]

Mostly side rails where I come from.
Don't tie things to them. Especially people.
posted by SLC Mom at 7:47 AM on August 29, 2014 [1 favorite]

i'm gonna go with side rails. Thanks!
posted by angrycat at 8:37 AM on August 29, 2014

For future reference, another search term for these, especially the kind that attach to one's hospital-style bed with bolts, is "halo bars" or just halos, so-called because the open ends are round like halos.
posted by limeonaire at 8:11 PM on August 29, 2014

We use the term 'cot sides' as well in the UK.

Their use is discouraged in confused patients, as patients then often try to climb over the rails and fall from an even greater height. Patients at risk of falls are managed in ultra-low beds instead (floor level). Just a bit of extra detail for you.
posted by tinkletown at 4:57 AM on September 1, 2014

« Older Online Drawing Courses.   |   How do OpenTable dining certificates work? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.