hot plate for moka pot?
August 27, 2014 9:54 PM   Subscribe

I've grown very attached to the coffee that comes out of my moka pot/ bialetti pot every.single.morning for the last two years, to the point where I am planning on taking it with me on all of my travels this year. Please recommend a mini hot plate that I can purchase in Canada, to use with the moka pot.

I use a 2-cup moka pot, so anything that's big enough for that pot and not much bigger will be great. Lightweight is best; and I'm willing to spend a little bit of money (say, up to 50 bucks) for this. Not interested in the electric version of moka expresso, though.
posted by redwaterman to Shopping (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Are you going to places that use 120 Volts or 230 Volts?
posted by sebastienbailard at 10:20 PM on August 27, 2014

Ah, good question. Mostly 120V.
posted by redwaterman at 10:38 PM on August 27, 2014

Does it have to be an electric hotplate? I use a burner screwed to a gas canister, something like this, for my moka pot in both hotel rooms and while camping.
posted by Kerasia at 11:15 PM on August 27, 2014

You can get a combo device: I typed in "Electric Moka" (not a bad band nameā€¦) into Amazon and there's a bunch.
The big advantage is once the coffee is made, the thing turns off - no burnt coffee if you're in the bathroom just then...
posted by From Bklyn at 11:40 PM on August 27, 2014 [3 favorites]

An electric hotplate has a huge advantage over gas or fuel stoves: it can go on airplanes. Even though they're technically allowed on planes by the IATA conventions, many airlines will refuse to allow even empty used camping stoves/gas rings. All luggage is x-rayed now too, and this is one of the things they do look for.
posted by bonehead at 6:54 AM on August 28, 2014 [2 favorites]

« Older Get my eBay bike from Brownsville, TX to Phoenix!   |   OK, Max level bitchiness reached. How to deal with... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.