I want to have a gifted shotgun transported across state lines
July 27, 2014 9:04 PM   Subscribe

My father is gifting me his shotgun. He and the gun are in Maryland. I am in New Mexico. Googling tells me that if he handed to me in person there would be no issues and no paperwork required. It also tells me that to be shipped interstate the gun can't be shipped to me directly but must be shipped to someone with an FFL. Apparently My father can ship it out even though he does not have an FFL but the recipient must be licensed.

1) is this correct?

2) if so, should I approach a gun store and ask them to receive the weapon on my behalf?

3) if 1 and 2, how much should I expect to pay the gun shop for this service?

4) if I'm going down the wrong path here, how should I have the gun sent from him to me?

We want the transfer to be as simple as possible on both ends.
posted by Warren Terra to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total)
IANAL, but receiving a firearm here in Virginia is as described. The fee for an FFL holder to receive the firearm and do the paperwork ranges from $5 (if they know you, etc.) to $20.

If you google "find local FFL", most of the top hits will be free searchable databases of FFL holders near you. Call a few and ask what they charge to receive a firearm and how long it'll take them to complete the transfer to you once they have it in-hand.
posted by introp at 9:15 PM on July 27, 2014 [1 favorite]

from the url ..


In the following two quotes from that document, a "licensee" is (apparently) a holder of a FFL (Federal Firearms License); specifically:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

So, 1) yes, 2) yes, 3) shop around, and get some quotes, and 4) no, it seems like you're heading down the right path.
posted by the Real Dan at 12:19 AM on July 28, 2014 [1 favorite]

The fee for an FFL holder to receive the firearm and do the paperwork ranges from $5 (if they know you, etc.) to $20.

I know someone with an FFL side business, and he charges about $50 (plus or minus, depending) for this. I'm sure there are places that charge less and others that charge more, but it's a normal thing that people are familiar with.
posted by Dip Flash at 6:04 AM on July 28, 2014

Going through a gun shop or gun range is absolutely a standard way of doing this. I'm not sure what current pricing would be, but call a place or two in your area. (Try ranges, as well, even if they don't sell firearms; if they don't receive they'd probably be able to refer you to someone who does.)
posted by jammer at 6:33 AM on July 28, 2014

Yep, you go through an FFL holder in your state who receives the gun and does the paperwork to transfer it to you.

Here is a search engine that will let you find local FFLs by zip code.

Many times there are very small local operations who basically make some side money by doing FFL transfers to complete inter-personal transfers like yours, internet sales, etc. They typically charge less than a gun store with a big storefront and lots of inventory, etc. Some storefronts like that will hassle you over doing an FFL transfer because they want you to buy from their shop (although probably less you than someone buying from GunBroker, because you're just taking ownership of an heirloom, not using the Internet to undercut their profit margin).

Anyway, that's what I'd do. Find someone non-sketchy and cheap.
posted by Kadin2048 at 10:30 AM on July 28, 2014

« Older Singer-songwriter from the 1980s   |   My Mother's legal guardian is a crook. What can I... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.