How do I type out "I'm slipping" in Arabic, but using English letters?
July 1, 2014 11:18 AM   Subscribe

I'm writing a story (in English) where someone speaks Arabic. All I really need is "I'm slipping" (or "I'm falling" would work fine), but I need to put that into English letters. All the online translators seem to either reject this (presumably because of conjugation & such) or they only give it to me in Arabic letters. Help?
posted by scaryblackdeath to Grab Bag (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
"Transliteration" would be the key tool. Using that and a translator, I got:

أna alanzlaq
posted by supercres at 11:26 AM on July 1, 2014 [1 favorite]

Here's a transliteration tool for Arabic.
posted by switcheroo at 11:28 AM on July 1, 2014

Hmm... Given that Arabic is right-to-left, though, that could literally be backwards. Withdraw my suggestion; wait for an Arabic speaker/someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
posted by supercres at 11:30 AM on July 1, 2014

Until one gets here, I'm moderately sure that the transliteration tool will have taken that into account, as reading supercres's result backwards doesn't sound like Arabic to me.
posted by Drexen at 11:35 AM on July 1, 2014 [2 favorites]

google translate does indeed put the latin letters in proper order.

This is the arabic word:


Its kinda like I slip/I'm slipping

I'ts imperfect meaning the action is still taking place.

its prounounced, anzaliq

You don't include the first ana that supercres mentioned. ana means I, but arabic verbs are conugated to include the pronoun.
posted by MisantropicPainforest at 11:56 AM on July 1, 2014 [2 favorites]


is kinda similar but thats more like topple. like how people toppled dictators. inhehar is kinda like collapse or implode.
posted by MisantropicPainforest at 11:59 AM on July 1, 2014


أna alanzlaq

isn't right because alanzlaq is the maSdar form of anzalaq, meaning its a verbal noun, kind of like a gerund.

Also if you listen to the word in google translate, it will say anzaliqu. Ignore the u sound (dumma) because its a formal thing that no one really uses or would say verbally.
posted by MisantropicPainforest at 12:02 PM on July 1, 2014 [1 favorite]

I would really find a native or good speaker to ask this, because there are a lot of dialects of Arabic and unless you're writing about a person who would inform you he's falling in Modern Standard Arabic, the online translators might be giving you something that sounds ridiculous in context.
posted by egg drop at 12:26 PM on July 1, 2014 [3 favorites]

« Older Laptop maintenance and cleaning in Toronto?   |   How do I get better at / get over anxiety making... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.