Because, not why
June 23, 2014 8:29 AM   Subscribe

What's the word for when a website's malfunctioning makes you feel trapped and panic-achey in your hands and arms? For example, right now any Google Spreadsheet is stuck "Working..." and I can't get cells to update even though I can type in them. I'm using e-claustrophobia as a working word, but is there another name for this?
posted by michaelh to Science & Nature (6 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
I think it's a form of road rage. It happens when there's a disconnect between your mind's expectation of forward movement and the physical reality that it encounters. It manifests as stress and it can be physically painful.

Of course, when surfing the web it doesn't usually lead to violent altercations.
posted by alms at 8:52 AM on June 23, 2014 [4 favorites]

A manifestation of anxiety. An anxiety attack triggered by technological failure or poor user experience. I get this feeling sometimes when I encounter complex math problems or programming functions.
posted by theraflu at 9:03 AM on June 23, 2014 [1 favorite]

web rage
posted by methroach at 9:49 AM on June 23, 2014 [2 favorites]

posted by Troupe of trained rats at 10:16 AM on June 23, 2014 [7 favorites]

posted by Leontine at 12:27 PM on June 23, 2014

I've heard it called technostress.
posted by Gor-ella at 9:15 AM on June 24, 2014

« Older Help me beat the crap out of my camera   |   Help out a writer with a severe case of writer's... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.