Does this musical percussion technique have a name?
June 19, 2014 1:44 PM   Subscribe

I have a vague memory of seeing someone perform a percussion piece where they swung a rope in each hand with a weight on the end. They would sometimes allow the weight to strike the wooden resonating chamber to make a "clack" sound. In so doing, they were able to clack out some surprisingly complex rhythms. Does this instrument/technique have a name? What is it? And most importantly, where can I find some videos of people doing it?
posted by Galaxor Nebulon to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
Is it an asalato?
posted by aubilenon at 2:03 PM on June 19, 2014

Best answer: There's an Argentine gaucho dance called malambo which sometimes uses bolas. I'm unclear on the terminology, but I think it's malambo con boleadoras?
posted by henuani at 2:13 PM on June 19, 2014

Best answer: (I have to share a couple more videos since this dance is pretty much the coolest thing I've ever seen. Searching for "malambo boleadoras" on YouTube turns up many others.)
posted by henuani at 2:35 PM on June 19, 2014 [2 favorites]

Yes, it's malambo con boleadoras. I saw an amazing performance of this by an ensemble from Argentina. Part dance, part percussion performance (in that way, similar to flamenco dancing or tap). The boleadora (or bolo) is a hunting tool/weapon used by gauchos to trip fleeing cattle.
posted by bluejayway at 2:58 PM on June 19, 2014

(This wasn't what you asked about, but your question reminded me of it: The Flying Karamazov Brothers do music by juggling.)
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 4:25 PM on June 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

« Older Fantastic 50th in Greece?   |   To IVF or not IVF Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.