There's a hole in my siding, Dear Liza, Dear Liza
June 17, 2014 10:24 AM   Subscribe

I drove by my rental property today and it appears that my idiot tenant has backed into the front of the house within the last few weeks. The damage looks like this, with the damaged area measuring about a foot tall at its longest point. Is this an appropriate DIY project for someone with only basic levels of handiness, and if not, what professional do I call?

The siding appears to be manufactured a large sheet much wider than the damage- it looks like it comes in 4' sections, maybe? Except it doesn't, practically speaking, because this kind of siding does not appear to be carried in my area any longer any more, according to a friend who saw the picture.

Can I...fill it?....with....something? and paint over? It doesn't have to be perfect but it has to look acceptable, even if it looks acceptable and fixed. If this can't be DIYed easily (I am not especially handy and pretty much top out at very basic painting/caulking/installing non-complicated faucets level of handy), what kind of specific handyperson do I call to fix it? It is very, very difficult in my city to find someone willing to do small, one-off jobs in the summer.
posted by charmedimsure to Home & Garden (8 answers total)
A carpenter can fix that for you. It's not siding as in aluminium siding; it's wood. It can be matched with a 2x4 of plywood and a trim strip, painted over.
posted by DarlingBri at 10:29 AM on June 17, 2014

Right, to clarify, yes, it is wood siding but not the standard horizontal wood siding; it is some vertical stuff tacked on in large sheets. It alternates a wide (16? 18? inch) thicker stripe with narrow thin/recessed stripe, but the stripes are not individual pieces of wood.
posted by charmedimsure at 10:44 AM on June 17, 2014

You might be able to get away with a day laborer who has carpentry skills-- in any case this should be a cheap fix unless there's deeper damage. However, there's probably some kind of goo that can seal up a hole against moisture; that would be the main concern beneath the surface.
posted by Sunburnt at 10:45 AM on June 17, 2014

3M makes a wood-filler version of Bondo, and there's also Plastic Wood available at HD/Lowes. I'd think it would work well here, if you can get the texture to look right.
posted by hanoixan at 10:52 AM on June 17, 2014 [1 favorite]

That looks like cedar siding, based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge owning a house with same. A lumber yard should be able to get it in the width you need. I'd suggest replacing the section from slightly above the damage to the ground rather than trying to patch (again, from experience living with the results of a crappy patch job that drives me crazy every time I walk past it).
posted by Sweetie Darling at 10:57 AM on June 17, 2014

Easy enough to fix by removing a section of plywood plus a couple battens and replacing, but the tough part is going to be matching the texture of the existing siding, so your first task should be to try to find out what exactly you have and how you might be able to get a piece. If this is a common material locally, I'm sure someone has already worked out how to get the material - ask around.
posted by ssg at 11:09 AM on June 17, 2014

I bet if you took the photo to Spenard Builders Supply they could at least point you in the right direction, and I imagine they'd be the most likely local source of the stuff.
posted by charmcityblues at 11:44 AM on June 17, 2014

repairing t1-11 wood siding

Personally, I would show a picture to the closest non-chain hardware store.
posted by cda at 11:47 AM on June 17, 2014 [1 favorite]

« Older Book about Italian apprentice making fountain for...   |   Boss is treating me like his personal assistant -... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.