What is the process for a Dutch citizen to get a Spanish NIE?
May 27, 2014 1:42 AM   Subscribe

I am a Dutch citizen (but non-resident) who has recently relocated to Spain. I have secured legitimate employment to begin in 7 weeks, and I'm trying to work out the process to get my documents together.

I was born in Canada and acquired Dutch citizenship (by birth) while living there. I have never resided in the EU, but have recently relocated to Spain.

In order to legally work here I understand that I need a NIE and a Social Security number. Today I was told that I should begin by declaring myself a resident. From there I can get my NIE (using my resident number and a contract from my employer), and then my Social Security number (using the NIE). Is this the correct order? Will my not having a Dutch residence number/card be a problem in this process?

I do have the support of my employer, but I believe that the process may have changed since they last navigated it and so I would like as much information as I can get. Thanks!
posted by jpziller to Travel & Transportation around Spain (4 answers total)
It's just one data point, but this commercial "fixer" seems to indicate that -- as an EU citizen -- all you need for an NIE is a valid EU-country passport. If I read the site correctly, only non-EU-citizens need to provide an employer contract for an NIE.
posted by Dimpy at 2:50 AM on May 27, 2014

Hi! I got my NIE as a non-EU spouse three years ago, so my experience is a bit different. This website helped a lot, though the information is quite old, and I don't know what has changed in the last three years.

The only other thing that helped to clarify things was actually going to an appointment, where the person behind the desk told me what papers I was missing, where to get them, and what steps to take next. I think you should take advantage of your company's HR department as much as possible. They should be able to tell you what your first step is and make the appointments for you.

Here is a summary of what you need. If you don't speak Spanish you will absolutely need to take someone with you to your appointments.

Also, though you may have Dutch citizenship, if you have no passport or identity card from the Netherlands I think it would be easier to get your NIE with your work contract, otherwise you'll probably have to send off for lots of paperwork that needs to be translated (expensively). Again, talk to HR, and feel free to memail me if there's anything else I could help with.
posted by lollymccatburglar at 3:53 AM on May 27, 2014

From policia.es:
Los ciudadanos de un Estado miembro de la Unión Europea o de otro Estado parte en el Acuerdo sobre el Espacio Económico Europeo tienen derecho a residir en territorio español por un período superior a tres meses. Los interesados estarán obligados a solicitar personalmente ante la Oficina de Extranjeros de la provincia donde pretendan permanecer o fijar su residencia o, en su defecto, ante la Comisaría de Policía correspondiente, su inscripción en el Registro Central de Extranjero
So you begin by requesting the inscription on the Registro Nacional de Extranjero on the Oficina de Extranjeros of the province you live in, or the appropriate police comissary.

See also this page from exteriores.gob.es. It seems like the first step is going to the police.
posted by sukeban at 3:58 AM on May 27, 2014

Seems like a few things got conflated here. A few thoughts (assuming you are in possession of an EU passport):

- You don't have to be a resident to get a NIE - the tax identification number for foreigners/ Número de Identificación de Extranjero. The NIE allows foreigners to legally work in Spain.

- However, if you register for residency the NIE is issued automatically. Any EU citizen residing in Spain for more than three months is obliged to register at the Registro Central de Extranjeros at an Oficina de Extranjero or local Policia Nacional. Then you get a Certificado de registro como residente comunitario that includes the NIE.

To register bring:
1. a valid passport or national ID card
2. signed application form EX18 (Solicitud de certificado de registro de residencia comunitaria)
3. proof that the fee was paid (bank-stamped Modelo 790 payment form - ask for it at the office where you register)

FYI: There is no requirement to bring any employment contracts, but the legislation changed in 2012 and applicants may have to provide evidence of sufficient financial means as well as health insurance.

- Once you have your NIE, you can obtain a NSS (Número de la Seguridad Social / Spanish Social Security Number). You get the number at your local Social Security Office. They'll need to see your NIE and your passport/ID card. You get the number yourself, but your employer is required to register you to the system, so best follow up with them once you start working.

- Anyone residing in Spain for a duration of more than 183 days/year is required to "empadronado"/register at the Padrón Municipal de Habitantes. Registering there makes you an official member of the community. Among other things, this grants your right to vote and also brings in money for the municipality (taxes are distributed according to the number of registered inhabitants).

- Do you need a bank account? They might want to see your passport, NIE number, employment contract and some proof of address.

Hope this helps.
posted by travelwithcats at 4:09 AM on May 27, 2014

« Older Best unnaturally coloured contact lenses?   |   In a relationship, in love with a friend, need to... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.