Britain and EU withdrawal
May 25, 2014 12:26 PM   Subscribe

What would happen regarding residency and work permits for British nationals living abroad if Britain withdrew from the EU?

Has it been suggested anywhere that British nationals would be granted visas for indefinite stays, or whether they would need to return home and apply anew for immigration status? Can anyone recommend free resources that could help me with this question? Has anyone covered it anywhere?
posted by ellieBOA to Law & Government (3 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
A professor of EU and Human Rights Law outlines some possible scenarios here: What happens to British expatriates if the UK leaves the EU?
posted by effbot at 12:56 PM on May 25, 2014 [1 favorite]

A parliamentary research paper on Leaving the EU suggests that it depends on whether or not the UK leaves the EU but remains in the EEA, and what rights the UK could/would negotiate with other member states. (Page 68)
posted by billiebee at 1:03 PM on May 25, 2014

Response by poster: Thanks both, effbot, that blog is great, thank you.
posted by ellieBOA at 1:35 AM on May 26, 2014

« Older Commuter bike opinions - Marin Muirwoods v. Kona...   |   Where to do (online) real estate training? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.