What is the term for this jacket?
April 4, 2014 3:35 PM   Subscribe

I'm wondering what the proper term for this jacket is. I am told it is Japanese. It is made of heavy cotton and is hand stitched.

The closest thing I've been able to find is haori but the sleeves look different. Here is a picture of the coat head on. Here is a shot of the right sleeve. And here is a shot of how it opens in the front (no ties or fasteners).

posted by fozzie_bear to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Best answer: It looks like a happi coat to me.
posted by sciencegeek at 3:40 PM on April 4, 2014 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Seconding happi coat.
posted by expialidocious at 3:48 PM on April 4, 2014

Best answer: Yep, definitely a happi coat. Folks often wear them to summer festivals, and you can either wear it open or close it with a separate sash.
posted by Diagonalize at 3:48 PM on April 4, 2014

Response by poster: Yes, a happi coat. Thank you all.
posted by fozzie_bear at 6:17 PM on April 4, 2014

« Older What's up with this post-fall soreness and...   |   Does she (really) love me? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.