D-Link Compatible With IBM Thinkpad 600X

I own a IBM Thinkpad 600X. Would anyone know whether a D-Link 32 bit Ethernet Bus Card would be compatible with this laptop? Thanks.
posted by Mckoan1 to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

I assume its a PC Card / PCMIA ethernet adapter? If so, it probably depends on your OS. If your running Linux, apparently it can be tricky getting PCMCIA to work correctly, but then nothing is easy on Linux with laptops ;)
posted by alexst at 5:47 AM on October 23, 2005

Yes, you're laptop is certainly new enough that it'll definitely have CardBus support.
posted by cillit bang at 5:47 AM on October 23, 2005

Oh crap, scratch that. The answer is no. CardBus does not work with PCMCIA. There might be USB adapters or something if your lucky.
posted by alexst at 5:48 AM on October 23, 2005

I'll shut up now then, i've clearly had not enough coffee yet.
posted by alexst at 5:50 AM on October 23, 2005

I'm not sure what Alexst is on about. CardBus is a feature that some (most) PCMCIA slots have. In any case, the specs for the 600x explicitly mention CardBus support:
PC Card
The Type III slot accommodates either two Type I, two Type II, or one Type III PC card. The slot supports the CardBus adapters(8) PC card and the Zoomed Video (ZV) adapter.
Just about all CardBus slots are 32-bit, so you're fine in that area too.
posted by cillit bang at 7:29 AM on October 23, 2005

Sorry, I totally missed the bit where it was a CardBus card (the 32-bits should of made me realise it) so then I suddenly realised it was CardBus, and thought the laptop didn't have CardBus support (it wasn't mentioned on the spec list I read) and hence thought it wouldn't work.

Just ignore me, cillit bang is right, it'll probably work fine :)
posted by alexst at 7:40 AM on October 23, 2005

Hello fellow old-school Thinkpad owner (love 'em!).

I have a 600X, and I use (when I'm not using the wireless card, that is):

CNet CNF401 100/10 Mbps Fast Ethernet Cardbus Adapter

I'm assuming you didn't care too much about the manufacturer, just the card type?

My wireless adapter card is made by D-Link, though, and it works great.
posted by Liosliath at 4:34 PM on October 23, 2005

« Older Starting up a competitor to E*Trade   |   If the U.S. Criminal Code were a cook book, my... Newer »