How to communicate fabric coarseness?
March 25, 2014 12:09 PM   Subscribe

Is there a specific numbering system / grading system for fabric coarseness? I am specifically working with nylon for a bag.
posted by gillianr to Grab Bag (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
Here is an article on Wikipedia about the units of textile measurement. I think this is a pretty good place to start.
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 12:15 PM on March 25, 2014 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Denier (as described on that Wikipedia page) is, I think, the unit most commonly used for nylon.
posted by clavicle at 12:41 PM on March 25, 2014 [2 favorites]

Seconding denier. It's standard.
posted by fraula at 1:04 PM on March 25, 2014

Response by poster: Thanks! To piggyback on my question: does anyone know a good online visual reference of ballistic denier levels to substitute for having a spec book in hand? I would like visualize the difference between a 500 and 1000 for example.
posted by gillianr at 1:16 PM on March 25, 2014

If you have a backpack around, or can nose about in a hiking goods store, you might be able to look up its specs online. This would work for much of REI's stuff.

That would give you one reference point.

A cobbler or tailor might have a swatchbook or swatch you could look at. (It'd be courteous to make a small purchase if you're using their time in this manner.)
posted by sebastienbailard at 1:59 PM on March 25, 2014

« Older What is that electronic noise in my audio system?   |   Question about dog allergies Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.