Can you interpret UPS tracking data?

If you know how to decode UPS tracking information, please look inside.

Phone calls and emails are useless, and I can't really understand what all of this means, or when I'll get my new Thinkpad:

Status: In Transit

Shipped to: NOYDB
Shipped or Billed on: Oct 12, 2005
Tracking Number: 1Z 0E2 5E4 D3 1023 XXXX
Service Type: EXPRESS
Weight: 4.50 Kgs

Package Progress:

Date/Time Location Activity

Oct 21, 2005
2:46 A.M.
LOUISVILLE, KY, US
A PROCESSING ERROR AT DESTINATION CAUSED THIS DELAY;THE PACKAGE WAS MISSORTED AT THE HUB. IT HAS BEEN REROUTED TO THE CORRECT DESTINATION SITE

2:34 A.M.
LOUISVILLE, KY, US
IMPORT SCAN

Oct 20, 2005
1:41 A.M.
LOUISVILLE, KY, US
IMPORT SCAN

Oct 19, 2005
10:50 P.M.
LOUISVILLE, KY, US

Oct 14, 2005
3:31 A.M.
LOUISVILLE, KY, US

2:54 A.M.
LOUISVILLE, KY, US
IMPORT SCAN

Oct 13, 2005
9:25 P.M.
LOUISVILLE, KY, US

2:46 P.M.
LOUISVILLE, KY, US

Oct 12, 2005
10:53 P.M.
KOWLOON BAY, HK
PICKUP SCAN

2:47 A.M.
HK
BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
posted by Kwantsar to Grab Bag (11 answers total)

It means that after your packet, er, Powerbook is rerouted 28 more times, it'll just go *poof* and cease to exist.

All networking snarkiness aside, I would call UPS and ask them when they are going to overnight it to your door, because it looks like they have screwed the pooch twice now, and I wouldn't bet against it happening at least one more time. You say phone calls are useless, but I think it's your best bet - drill down on them until you talk to somehow who can Make It Happen. I assume you're fairly local to Louisville, KY, so if you speak to this person they should be able to pull it and get it on a truck personally.

Of course, I'm not a UPS employee, so this is just my finely-honed consumeristic self-aggrandization speaking.
posted by kcm at 6:55 AM on October 21, 2005

I had a few PROCESSING ERRORs on an IBM keyboard shipped via UPS from Hong Kong, but without a 5-day gap like you experienced. I'm thinking the package went out on the wrong flight and got turned back around to Louisville, their main hub. All overnight and international packages go through there.

Here's my tracking page. What's interesting is that in the months since it originally shipped, several entries in the tracking disappeared. A little historical revisionism by UPS to cover their own ineptitude, I guess.
posted by zsazsa at 7:01 AM on October 21, 2005

Definitely call. If you can get a copy of the airbill from the shipper, that may help- multiple errors like that seem very odd, like some part of the address is wrong (like the wrong zip attached to it).
posted by mkultra at 7:10 AM on October 21, 2005

Just wanted to agree with mkultra's last point.

I shipped something by UPS with the wrong ZIP code on it a while ago, and they didn't do any sanity checking on the address; the item went somewhere very strange before they did a double-take and sent it to the correct place.
posted by lowlife at 8:11 AM on October 21, 2005

More agreement with mkultra!

Some part of the address may be very wrong. A package intended for me was misdelivered twice to the same wrong address at MegaCorp, Cambridge, MA. The only way I ever got this package was by calling up MegaCorp and picking it up at their shipping and receiving. Lo and behold, sticker on the front had their address on it, not mine.

Calling UPS was helpful in that they could explain to me what was happening, but couldn't necessarily do a damn thing about it.
posted by whatzit at 8:14 AM on October 21, 2005

Definetly call their customer service. It does look like there is something wrong with the address -- I recently shipped a gift via Amazon, and my friend kept not getting the package. The fix was that a directional was missing (Whatever Street instead of Whatever Street West) and it was fixed very quickly. You may have to contact IBM or whomever shipped your package, though, so that they can give UPS a correction.
posted by Medieval Maven at 8:47 AM on October 21, 2005

If the phone calling continues to get you nowhere fast, try visiting a local UPS Store. Print out the crazy tracking information and show it to them. Who knows, maybe they can be the action on this awful inertia.
posted by NoMich at 9:56 AM on October 21, 2005

NoMich, UPS stores are independently owned and operated, sadly often by people who hate UPS. Deal with corporate; the UPS Stores will probably be 99.9% unhelpful.
posted by Medieval Maven at 10:46 AM on October 21, 2005

Really? Nevermind me then.
posted by NoMich at 11:45 AM on October 21, 2005

With the UPS tracking number, you should be able to call and have the package rerouted (I know because I've done it- twice). This will help correct any address problems they might be having.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 8:14 PM on October 21, 2005 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Ditto what some have said, plus (from a former UPSer):

Louisville is UPS's largest hub, used for most if not all international shipments. It is also highly automated. Being that it is so huge, and so automated, it may very well be that no human being has touched your package for quite some time now. (Did that come out right?) Since there is probably not some major malf happening with the equipment at Louisville, most likely there is some error with the address.

It may not be the written/printed label, either - at some point the address is encoded as a scannable bar code (esp. for the automated hub) and there may have been an error introduced there. The system scans your package and routes it to trailer X, which it thinks will get it closer to you. It may get as far (or not) as the person loading the trailer who is supposed to scan and check the address of each package before loading it into the trailer. Assuming it reaches a loader, and they do their job properly, it gets kicked back out to be resorted. Rinse and repeat.

I would try to contact someone at the Louisville hub. Try for hub operations (the people who do the day-to-day package handling stuff), or better yet, finance (the people who do size/weight audits and are used to tracking down, for instance, high value packages for special handling). You might even try the "scan room" where they keep track of all the scans made, missed, duplicated, etc.
posted by attercoppe at 10:48 PM on October 21, 2005

« Older Where to have lunch in Cardiff?   |   Duct sealing to save on heating costs? Newer »