TEFL in the UK.
March 11, 2014 2:09 AM   Subscribe

I am looking for an additional income source, and understand that combining a home stay with teaching English as a second language is a possibility, because it is relatively well paid and there is a fair amount of work available where I am (Oxford, UK). Has anyone done this? Are the above assumptions correct? What teaching qualifications are required? There is not a lot of info that I can find on the language teaching websites. Thanks.
posted by Kiwi to Education (2 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
I don't know about the home stay part, but the two most recognised qualifications in TEFL are CELTA and CertTESOL. I don't believe any qualifications are actually required to teach English privately, but you'll carry more weight with a proper qualification.
posted by Magnakai at 2:40 AM on March 11, 2014

I got my CELTA from a place in London in about 2003, and I was hired at an ESL school right away by being recommended by my instructor. I have no idea what the situation is now, or in Oxford, or for at-home placement. But I do think that it is a good idea to inquire as to whether the school will help you with placement. Good luck!
posted by Shebear at 3:54 AM on March 11, 2014

« Older The Big 3-0   |   How to increase absorption of magnesium? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.