What does this sign say?

I have a photo from a recent immigration rally with a young woman holding a sign in a non-English language. What does the sign say? And what language is it?

Thanks for your help.
posted by HE Amb. T. S. L. DuVal to Writing & Language (4 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

[A couple comments removed; this is not a "I think maybe" sort of question, so if you do not recognize the written language please resist the urge to speculate.]
posted by cortex (staff) at 3:11 PM on February 25, 2014 [8 favorites]

This is Thai. My Thai is very rusty but I will translate later if no one else know it.
posted by seesom at 3:43 PM on February 25, 2014

seesom, I'm fairly positive that it's Tibetan, not Thai, and the sign is written in the Tsugtung script.
posted by peripathetic at 4:17 PM on February 25, 2014

Just asked a Tibetan friend. He said it is Tibetan, and says something about her not having work (he wasn't very specific and learned the written language as an adult, so maybe that's why his translation wasn't that detailed).
posted by bearette at 5:51 PM on February 25, 2014 [1 favorite]

« Older "young lady"   |   Beautiful places in San Francisco for a person... Newer »