Canadian GST/HST error
February 23, 2014 8:38 PM   Subscribe

From about 2008 to 2012, I was self employed as a private tutor in Canada. My income ranged from about 25k - 40k. During that time, I didn't collect GST/HST from my students because I didn't realize I was required to. I received a letter on Friday from Canada Revenue saying that I've been registered for an HST number and asking to submit GST/HST for 2010-2011. I'm a bit scared now, and wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what the penalties might be? I plan to talk to an accountant in the next week, but I'm just hoping to get an idea of what I might be in for.
posted by anonymous to Work & Money (3 answers total)
You need to talk to an accountant. CRA says these are the HST/GST penalties. But a good accountant can probably create a bit of an amnesty for you or find some other way, with any luck.
posted by Chaussette and the Pussy Cats at 9:20 PM on February 23, 2014

See this link about whether or not you even were required to charge HST:
Check this useful page out also.
posted by BozoBurgerBonanza at 8:14 PM on February 24, 2014

Before you go through the expense of an accountant, contact CRA (there should be contact info on the letter you received), they can probably set you straight with a phone call.
posted by BozoBurgerBonanza at 8:17 PM on February 24, 2014

« Older To Look Back At Where We Boldly Went Where No One...   |   Iceland, best time to visit and some other... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.