kids and quiet

I lost my voice completely! Any good kid activity suggestions that involve complete quiet from the adult?
posted by mutt.cyberspace to Grab Bag (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

My kids are 1.5 and 4.
posted by mutt.cyberspace at 2:25 PM on February 17, 2014

how old are the kids? sometimes lip reading contests can be fun. or listening to music and dancing your feelings, or they read you a story... (assuming they can read?)
posted by andreapandrea at 2:25 PM on February 17, 2014

Pick up everyday objects (orange, banana, soap, etc), and do the corresponding sign for it in ASL.

See if they like doing that. Also, the more dramatic the movements, the more likely they are to have fun while doing it.

Good luck with your v.
posted by hal_c_on at 2:27 PM on February 17, 2014

Are you looking for something for you to be a part in or something just to keep them busy?

Pillow forts and sheets and all the pillows in the house (and flashlights and books for inside)
Crayons and paper and stickers
tower making contests with blocks
posted by bottlebrushtree at 2:36 PM on February 17, 2014

Shadow puppets are a big hit with my 5 year old - silence adds to the fun.
posted by juva at 2:36 PM on February 17, 2014

If your 4 year old can write and read, I play a silent game with my daughter I call "message in a bottle". I write something to her, and then she writes something back to me. Can be very simple messages of course.
posted by Dansaman at 2:43 PM on February 17, 2014

Looks like a good time to be a mime.

Bonus: if you have a costume shop near you, get some full or half blank face masks and enjoy "painting your mime faces".
posted by DisreputableDog at 4:26 PM on February 17, 2014

Sounds (heh) like Charades Day! Although you'll be doing all the miming. The 4 year old should probably find it fun, but maybe too much for the 1-1/2 year old? Maybe for the little one, make some sheets of paper with pictures (fruit, yogurt container, toilet, bed, smiley face, angry face, etc) that you can hold up with pointing finger and head on one side? Actually, making these could take a long time, and be a lot of fun.

And be sure you have one sound (two blocks banged together, a spoon against a pot) that means STOP! LOOK AT ME!

From experience I know how tempting it is to just try to say one little thing to a kid to clear things up. Try to remember that the more silent you are the sooner you'll heal.

And you will remember the day(s) fondly. Some day. Good luck!
posted by kestralwing at 6:27 PM on February 17, 2014

Has your 4-year-old had any experience with school yet? Most kids that age LOVE to be the teacher. Let her* be the one to read to you and the toddler. Let her be in charge of things (lunch, changing the baby, naptime, etc) by telling you what to do and telling the toddler when/how to behave. Let her take you for a walk around the neighborhood and point out all the sites (tour inside the house if it's too cold outside). Let her make up the bedtime story.

You can do movement things: stretching to reach the sky, curling in a ball, giant steps, etc and let the older child describe what shapes you are making. Or do it like Simon Says, but without saying - just have her copy what you do, then let her lead and you copy her.

If you have a play doctor kit, I think you could mime doctor things - you be the patient and overact your pain so she has to guess which body part to wrap in an ace bandage after she takes your temperature.

This also sounds like a good day for movie day!! and just let them watch a lot of TV.

Look at your smartphone for solutions: let Siri be your voice, or search for text-to-talk apps, or for aphasia apps.

In addition to the One sound that means STOP! LOOK AT ME! suggested above, make a specific sound for I love you, Good Job, etc. These could be whistle patterns or a squeaky toy held high or low, whatever.

Most of this stuff is for the older kid; I'm hoping that the younger one can just come along, be bossed around a bit, and imitate as much as possible.

*I'm using "her" because that's what my kids are, and maybe because I feel like little girls are better at being the boss.
posted by CathyG at 6:46 AM on February 18, 2014

« Older What, in late 18th century England, did it mean to...   |   Wedding venues at Scottish castles? Newer »