What rhymes with briny?

Help me plan a halloween party with an undersea theme...

I am throwing a big halloween party with an undersea theme. My house is several long rooms that flow into one another, so my idea is to have the front of the house with lighthearted Spongebob/Piratey decorations, progressing 'deeper' all the way to the "Horrors of the Deep" - the back room blacklit with evil toothy luminenscent fish sculptures, etc.

What I have so far:
Giant octopus inflatable made of black plastic. Papier mache fish. Some decent rippling water lighting effects (I'd love an idea that doesn't involve water). Video clips of scuba diving, etc. being projected on the wall. A bunch of plastic plants spraypainted fluorescent blue.

What I would like suggestions on:
Rewards for partygoers that dress with the theme. A clever title for the party invitation. Music that fits without sacrificing dancibility. Ideas on an inexpensive way to get my plants to wave back and forth as if underwater (I'm talking bobblehead technology here). Food and beverage suggestions (not too much blue CuraƧao, please, but I've heard tonic water fluoresces).

Also, general tips on keeping the party packed, getting the people you want to be at your party to come without bringing their motorcycle gang with them, and party layout. Drinks at the front or back?
posted by BleachBypass to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (10 answers total)

A box fan pointed upwards, on some blocks, with streamers (crepe paper streamers?) tied to the front can mimic underwater plants.

If you have the time, maybe papier mache some geothermal vents and stick a flashlight with red cellophane over the bulb? Too bad it might be infeasible to add black smoke or occasional eruptions (vineger & backing soda).

Yes, tonic water does have a neato glow under UV.

Also, are you familiar with Lovecraft's Deep Ones (from the stories set around Innsmouth). You could get someone to dress up with the "Innsmouth" look at the door and someone dressed as a "Deep One" serving drinks at the deeper and creepier depths...
posted by PurplePorpoise at 12:40 PM on October 17, 2005

Have a seperate stereo playing whale noise/underwater sounds relaxation CD's on repeat in the background or in one of the other rooms/hall.
posted by fire&wings at 12:47 PM on October 17, 2005

Get them buying into the theme in advance by creating a party-blog called 20,000 Links Under the Sea.
posted by cairnish at 12:57 PM on October 17, 2005

Don't forget to play the B-52s' "Rock Lobster" at least once.
posted by Faint of Butt at 12:57 PM on October 17, 2005

Undersea Community - The Avalanches. Everyone dances to The Avalanches.
posted by Juliet Banana at 1:01 PM on October 17, 2005

"Under the Sea" from the Little Mermaid!
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 1:06 PM on October 17, 2005 [1 favorite]

Going to serve sushi hors d'oeuvre?
posted by alumshubby at 2:37 PM on October 17, 2005

Response by poster: Sushi hors d'oeuvre seems a bit pricey, but a fine idea. Doing sushi on the cheap, now that's scary...

23skidoo, I nearly peed myself. I like that one a lot.

Also, purpleporpoise, "deeper and creepier" has a nice ring to it.

cairnish, is this easy to do? I have kind of been avoiding the blogging thing, as I already have so many masturbatory activities on my plate. But this sounds like it would be to a worthy end, plus I would love to be able to post pics of the decorations as they progress.

That borderline Lovecraftian shudder I get when I see the bathyspheric fish is what I am going for, I will check out that link shortly, purpleporpoise.

Great stuff, worth every penny (or at least my weekly allowance)!
posted by BleachBypass at 3:27 PM on October 17, 2005

You need to play "Fish" by Mr. Scruff, it won't be a party without it. Lie cheat and soulseek.
posted by moift at 7:59 PM on October 17, 2005

Too bad you don't list contact info in your user page - I'm watching (HP Lovecraft's) Dagon right now and the sets/costumes would so totally be awesome inspirations for your party.

The availability is pretty limited (you probably wouldn't find it at your local Blockbuster), though.
posted by PurplePorpoise at 7:14 PM on October 28, 2005

« Older Advice on delivering a eulogy.   |   That crazy feeling Newer »