What kind of (kitchen) pot is this?
February 2, 2014 1:14 PM   Subscribe

Found this at a market stall ... forgot to check if it's a legit Le Creuset, but it looks right. I've never seen a pot like this before, though, and google-fu is failing me. Anyone have any ideas? What is this thing for??

Link to photo here: https://edd.fm/dump/pot.jpg
posted by inmediasres to Home & Garden (15 answers total)
It looks like a fondue pot, just missing the little burner stand.
posted by exceptinsects at 1:15 PM on February 2, 2014 [2 favorites]

It's definitely a fondue pot, and looks like enameled cast iron, and is a classic Le Creuset orange, but I can't find any references to one of their fondue pots having that bulbous shape.

Can you put up a picture of the stamp on the bottom? They are hard to read but someone might be able to ID against a pot of their own.
posted by Lyn Never at 1:30 PM on February 2, 2014

If it's kind of small, like under 1qt, it's a butter or milk warmer.
posted by rhizome at 1:47 PM on February 2, 2014 [1 favorite]

Heritage Bean Pot less the lid? The handles are different, but the shape of your pot screams "bean pot"
posted by JujuB at 1:51 PM on February 2, 2014

I've never seen a Le Creuset fondue pot with that shape although I'm certainly no expert on their older lines.

Was there a spout turned away from the camera? There are definitely hot chocolate pots with a similar shape and handle (which I've never understood because they're always awkward to pour).
posted by bcwinters at 1:52 PM on February 2, 2014

Bean pots have two small handles. This pot's handle would seem to be too short for a milk or butter warmer. Loads of companies have made orange enamel cookware; that's not a Le Creuset-specific thing. Nth generic fondue minus a bit of the original set. If there are markings on the bottom, post a pic.
posted by kmennie at 2:59 PM on February 2, 2014

Looks like a butter warmer to me.
posted by sm1tten at 3:29 PM on February 2, 2014 [1 favorite]

I'm not convinced it's Le Creuset. I'm pretty familiar with their stuff, and that looks wrong.

I do believe it's a fondue pot, but pictures of the interior and bottom would be helpful.
posted by dotgirl at 3:46 PM on February 2, 2014 [2 favorites]

Usually has a lid. etsy
posted by Ideefixe at 4:17 PM on February 2, 2014

I found the same etsy listing, but it's not the same pot. They both have a handle which is also enamel (unusual), but the handle on the etsy pot and the one on this pot are set at different angles. This pot also has much more of a bulb shape.

Just going by gut and experience, I don't think it's Le Creuset. There's a surprising number of other makers of enamelware, and many of their forms and colors mimic Le Creuset closely. This just doesn't look like them.
posted by Miko at 4:20 PM on February 2, 2014

I tend to think it's not a butter warmer because it doesn't have a pour spout. I agree with "fondue pot ". The bulbous shape is pretty characteristic.
posted by oneirodynia at 8:33 PM on February 2, 2014

That's actually where I think it departs from the fondue. Fondue pots sometimes are bulbous (and sometimes just have sloped sides that flare open) but what they don't have is the couple of inches of narrowed rim above the bulbous part - which would make it really inconvenient for dipping.
posted by Miko at 6:22 AM on February 3, 2014

my parents had something similar - from what I recall, it's either a fondue pot or a mulling pot (for making mulled wine) from the early 70s in Germany.
posted by yggdrasil at 1:27 PM on February 4, 2014

yggdrasil's suggestion of mulled wine makes a lot of sense. Feuerzangenbowle sets often have a pot with a bulbous base and narrow top so the burning sugar cone does not fall in.
posted by oneirodynia at 3:10 PM on February 6, 2014 [1 favorite]

« Older A February weekend in Maine--what to do...   |   Help Me Jazz up baked chicken breasts! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.