Family law attorney recomendations in Milwaukee
December 18, 2013 1:45 PM   Subscribe

So my sister in law missed a court date after moving out of Wisconsin. She failed to keep her address current with her child custody court and missed the notification of a court date. She now has found out she has a bench warrant out for her arrest. So what is next for her and can anyone recommend a good lawyer in the area?
posted by The Violet Cypher to Law & Government (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
She should be entitled to a lawyer at public expense.

Where is the court? Milwaukee? She may be entitled to help from the Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee.

The plan here would be to get counsel to set a hearing date to quash the warrant, and also to deal with whatever the hearing was supposed to address.
posted by bearwife at 2:27 PM on December 18, 2013 [2 favorites]

She is only entitled to a lawyer at public expense if she can't afford a lawyer AFAIK.
posted by Justinian at 3:01 PM on December 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

Justinian is right. I made an assumption.

If she can afford a lawyer, I'd look for a referral from the local bar association.
posted by bearwife at 3:06 PM on December 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

This is one. The lawyer should be contacted first, and then he or she will contact the appropriate office to let them know that she is not in fact a scofflaw. Hopefully this will be worked out.
posted by yclipse at 7:13 PM on December 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

I sent you a memail for the awesomely stupendously amazingly awesome family lawyer I used in Madison. Madison, is not Milwaukee, but she will know people, I'm sure.
posted by Pogo_Fuzzybutt at 8:19 PM on December 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older SSRIs and the end of romantic love   |   Help stop my friend from trying to hire a... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.