Antique Keyboard on Windows 8.1

My beloved IBM M keyboard from 1991 works well on windows 8.1 with a USB adapter. Is there an Alt-something-something-something command that represents the Windows key on newer keyboards?
posted by Raybun to Computers & Internet (9 answers total)

ctrl-esc?
posted by Melismata at 2:18 PM on November 26, 2013 [2 favorites]

If theres another key that you don't use, then you could remap it either in the registry or with a utility like SharpKeys
posted by Lanark at 2:35 PM on November 26, 2013

Melismata has it. Ctrl-esc is your Windows key.
posted by deadmessenger at 3:27 PM on November 26, 2013 [1 favorite]

Though control + escape will open the start screen for you, it won't be useful for other shortcuts. I personally have remapped Caps lock to act as my windows key using Sharpkeys; that lets me use other shortcuts (like windows x, l, p, and so on)
posted by brocrastinator at 3:36 PM on November 26, 2013

I use Sharpkeys to remap capslock to windows key on my model m, and it works great
posted by jaymzjulian at 5:19 PM on November 26, 2013

Get one of these X-keys remappable mini keyboards.
posted by Confess, Fletch at 10:16 PM on November 26, 2013

Before I traded in my Model M for a modern mechanical keyboard, I used Sharpkeys to remap my capslock.
posted by Jairus at 7:17 AM on November 27, 2013

Roll your own programable keyboard with an Arduino.
posted by Confess, Fletch at 7:28 AM on November 27, 2013

I use a Model M with Windows 7 and mapping Capslock as the Windows key works great. Apparently this is what everyone else does, too!

I did without this for awhile (I got used to hitting Ctrl+Esc for the Start menu), but there are lots of useful things you can't do via the keyboard otherwise -- Win+L to lock, or Win+Left/Right to shift windows around, etc...
posted by neckro23 at 5:08 PM on November 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older To stay or to leave? that is the question.   |   Setting up online appointment system? Newer »