Snacks for a Doctor Who 50th viewing party

I'm throwing a party this Saturday for the Doctor Who anniversary special, and am trying to come up with some ideas for food and drink. Bonus challenge: One of the guests eats gluten-free.

I've got the desserts side covered pretty well, but am looking for interesting ideas for drinks (alcoholic and non) and savory foods. Fish fingers and custard, check. Jelly babies, check. But beyond that, looking for interesting and appropriate appetizers and snacks. Ideally, things that can sit around for the afternoon and be nibbled on, not necessarily things that are best when they're hot out of the oven (although I'll likely have something hot served when people first arrive).

The gluten-free person is an awesome person who happily makes her way with whatever is available, and never complains about lack of options, but I want to make sure there are multiple things there for her to enjoy.

So, what would you serve, if you were me?
posted by jbickers to Food & Drink (16 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Jelly babies!
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 7:28 AM on November 21, 2013

A screwdriver type drink, perhaps with food coloring to dye it the color of a sonic screwdriver
posted by marginaliana at 7:29 AM on November 21, 2013 [2 favorites]

I would serve something on celery (peanut butter? cream cheese?) because of Peter Davison's Doctor's coat boutonniere .
posted by xingcat at 7:35 AM on November 21, 2013 [2 favorites]

I did this for the new series,

I absolutely recommend that you try fish fingers and custard.
posted by Just this guy, y'know at 7:36 AM on November 21, 2013 [1 favorite]

I'm a fan of chips and onion dip. I make my onion dip because the store bought ones SUCK! Lipton Onion Soup Mix and any sour cream with no guar or xanthan gum.

Trader Joe's makes gluten free fish fingers, so fyi on that.

I'd mix in regular party food, because themes are nice, it's also good to have things that are yummy too.
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 7:38 AM on November 21, 2013

If she's not allergic to dairy, than any form of cheese cubes/shapes would work. If you serve any meat, look it up online to see if it's gluten-free-basically, the closer you are to unprocessed, the safer you are. It's prepared sauces and processed foods that tend to end up being full of gluten-based preservatives and thickeners. Some bacon is GF, some isn't. Same with lunchmeat.

The easiest way to get around this is go to a store that sells GF foods (any store that is focused on organic stuff will have them, like Whole Foods) and ask/look there.

But also: fruit and veggies, obviously. There are GF salsas, and most Tostitos corn chips are GF, just not the flavored kind; you can be sure by checking for the GF symbol on the bag.

Drinks are trickier. Drink mixes can have all kinds of ingredients in them. They do make GF beers (sorghum-based) and any hard liquor is fine by itself, or with soda water, and natural fruit juice (again, the processed stuff is where you get problems).

You might go to a bookstore and flip through the GF recipe books; they usually have a Party Foods section that can give you ideas.
posted by emjaybee at 7:41 AM on November 21, 2013 [1 favorite]

Also an excellent reason to serve Bloody Marys.
posted by The Underpants Monster at 7:45 AM on November 21, 2013 [1 favorite]

Bananas. Bananas are good.
posted by Lucinda at 7:53 AM on November 21, 2013 [3 favorites]

There's actually a Doctor Who (unauthorized) cookbook.

Maybe some sort of nOODle casserole or soup (crock pot for longevity; rice noodles for gluten free)

Sonic Screwdriver cocktails

Moon Pies

Marshmallow Adipose

Cyberbread-men (i.e. gingerbread men or maybe just do candied ginger for Amy)

Souffles, lots of souffles

Captain Jack Mulled Cider (feat. Captain Morgan and Jack Daniels)

A cake/cookies with "Hello Sweetie" written on it

Rose water shortbread

Hush K9s (hush puppies)

Wibbily wobbly timey wimey jello

Weeping angel food cake

Devils Run Deviled Eggs

Dalek Dip (literally any dip) & Crisps

Cheese (only the stinky blue kind) & crackers; or cheese sandwiches

Pig slaves in a blanket

...I realize now that I may have a slight Doctor Who obsession.
posted by melissasaurus at 7:59 AM on November 21, 2013 [5 favorites]

Doctor Who party recipes from BBC America.

Recipe for a T.A.R.D.I.S. Cocktail. (I assume they use Captain Morgain rum because one swig of Captain Jack Harkness rum makes you feel like you're hovering over London on a barrage balloon during the Blitz.)
posted by The Underpants Monster at 8:03 AM on November 21, 2013 [2 favorites]

And make sure when somebody needs a drink refill, they use the magic words, "Moisturize me!"
posted by The Underpants Monster at 8:04 AM on November 21, 2013 [3 favorites]

I made a Pizza of Rassilon for my now-husband a few years back. It does need to be cooked, but I highly recommend it.
posted by Catseye at 8:46 AM on November 21, 2013

Drinks with special straws that add fizz.
posted by pibeandres at 9:46 AM on November 21, 2013

There's a bar in Brooklyn that has Doctor Who-themed cocktails; here's their menu. No recipes, but inspiration.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 12:47 PM on November 21, 2013

I would serve something on celery (peanut butter? cream cheese?) because of Peter Davison's Doctor's coat boutonniere.

Celery with cream cheese & green olives is a Thanksgiving & Christmas classic. I like garlic-stuffed olives, but mom always used the pimiento kind. This Food.com recipe adds a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch (& softens the cream cheese in the microwave).
posted by editorgrrl at 2:02 PM on November 22, 2013

Some ideas here.
posted by duffell at 7:36 AM on November 23, 2013

« Older Help me be a good therapist!   |   How do I feel like my boyfriend is my boyfriend? Newer »